Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar is the Shizna!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have two aguilar GS-1-12 cabs and boy do they pump. Now I need one of their heads to go on them. When I was in the store I tried out the 750 and it absolutely pumped and sounded better that any head I have tried.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Aguilar 750? I think they'd 'pump' with any high current amp. I run a SWR 350 and it sounds pretty darn good.

3. Yeah, if you can afford it, aggy makes the best amps. I'd suggest the 359 though, imo the best amp out there. If you want the all tube sound though, if you are good with the highbrid, the 750 will serve you well also.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Or the DB680 + DB728 ;)

5. Yeah, its all good

6. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i used to have a 680/728 ... unreal ... now i have a db750 ... still unreal ... (a little easier to haul around, too) ... wish i still had all three items, but i ain't complaining!

aguilar is great stuff! i am buying two GS112's any day now ...

on a side note -- please don't flame me, i didn't say it -- i was talking with a drummer that i work with, and i asked him his opinion of 12'" cabs vs. 10's ... his reply was, "10's sound more articulate on stage, but 12's sound better to the audience."

he also said that his bassist's aguilar cabs are some of the best sounding cabs he's ever heard at a gig.

7. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I would agree with what thet drummer said. Mine do lack a little focus unless you can get them closer to ear level. But man they do sound good especially with there own heads on them. I am using a SWR SM-900 and an Eden WT-400 and they sound really good but not like they did with that DB 750 in the store with em.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I've got two Aguilar 1x12's. I don't think they sound as good as a single 1x12.

9. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    interesting. i'm no electrical engineer, but bassplayer mag did a shootout of 12's and they said the same thing about the sound of one cab vs. two ...

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    4-real! I'm with Bassplayer mag on this one. I talked to an Aguilar rep yesterday about this very subject. The pseudofacts:

- Bass Player mag tested and said the same

- The Aguilar 2x12 was designed to NOT sound like two 1x12's

- My test results:

-- Two 1x12s together are louder because of the doubled cone area and the halved impedance.

-- I ran them in bridged and stereo modes. I tested them with two different power amps and three different preamps.

-- The two 1x12 setup is not as clear and musical as the single 1x12 setup. Frequencies above 200hz are blurred.

-- I'm now running mine in dual-mono mode with the bottom cab band-limited at 150hz and below. My Alembic F-1X has full range (top speaker), high pass, and low pass outputs. I use the low-pass to feed the bottom speaker.

JB

11. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    im happy. if i had the money and the muscles tho, id get the db680 and db728.

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    me too. :)
    [​IMG]

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Epifani cabs sound amazing with Aguilar amps!

especially the 112 stack with 680/728.

14. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I run a DB750 into an Aggie 4x10 an a 1x15, it is simply the best rig I have ever played through. I can't recommend Aguilar highly enough.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

:D

16. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The GS 112s are hands down, the best cabinet I have ever used. True, being an inveterate cheapskate, there are lots of cabs I wouldn't buy, simply because I couldn't justify the price. The little Aggies have truly amazed all who have heard them, especially since they replaced my very familiar 410/115 stacks. Their tone is right up my alley and they are louder than any pair of 12s has a right to be. Ultimate cab? Probably not. For my usage, they can't be beat.

17. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I too have turned a few heads playing through the Aggie 112's. I have had a quite a few bass players approach me in a awe because they can not belieive that these little 12" speakers can sound that good and put out the bottom like they do.

I too sold my 212 and 115 combo for the Aggie 112 combo. I had a SWR Goliath Jr. and a SWR Son of Bertha. Together, these cabs are about $900-$1000 new. The Aggie pair of 112's was $800 new. The Aggies sound better, were cheaper, and more portable than my SWR rig. I am glad I got rid of the SWR stuff. I could not be happier

18. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    I'm REALLY liking the mesa m-pulse sound. i only need the walkabout but they're available in higher output.

try it, you LOVE it :D

bill :p

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the db 680 is the best preamp available, imo, bar none. i've played everything i can get my hands on, and nothing matches the db680 in the tone department, imo.

20. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    John, I've got to agree with you here. I've been really enjoying my new rig - DB680/PLX1602/EX CXL112L. IMO, it doesn't get much better. I would like an Epifani 210 though.