1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar junkies! I could just be stressed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbasser79, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jazzbasser79

jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    So here's the deal; I have an Aguilar DB750 going into a BergNV215 that I play in a classic rock influenced band. For some reason, I haven't found either the right J-bass or the right eq/amp combination to get the bass to really mix well with the Marshall half stack and my drummer.(btw, this rig verses the marshall is like driving a semi into a pinto, f'ing awesome)

Anyway, here's what I'm doing in hopes of making it work. I'm going to go check out some fender j basses in the next couple of weeks. I have a DB728 on hold, and I'm trying to choose a preamp.

Is the db728 going to sound good? and what preamp do I throw in front of it? I'm looking to stick to tube pre's. Or is it the cabinet that needs to be changed to the 610?

I also could just be freaking out this week since the engineer who recorded my bass over-compressed it and now it sounds like a fart in the distant wind. Im redoing all the bass lines. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, sorry about the scattered post but its difficult to hear an engineer tell you your bass tone sucks.

2. If he thinks that the tone of a DB750 and a Berg215 sucks, he's got the ear of a 90 year old lady, and you should go elsewhere.

As far as a all tube pre for the 728, I'd stick with the Aggie stuff and go with a 680. It adds a ton more eq options for you if that's what's needed.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Have you tried renting an SVT?

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That is a pretty decent rig. Is it possible that the weak link is somewhere else? Bass or the DI maybe?

5. Looking at your gear, I suspect your engineer has a tin ear.

6. +1....I have a 750/NV610 and I have tried the NV215 and like both but preferred the mid cut of the 610 a little better. I'd suggest you trust YOUR ears though and don't worry about what an engineer tells you unless you agree with them.....I like bothe 659 and the 680 with a 728...the 659 will give you close to the same tone you have with the 750 but the tubes definitely warm it up quite a bit. The 680 is very precise and gives you alot of flexibility...Personally, I prefer the 750 with the rig I have!

Peace,

T

7. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Seems like the problem is not with the rig...

It's ok, I think it's part of the job description. :)

8. jazzbasser79

jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    It was the first studio and engineer that messed up the tone, but thats a long story as to why it happened. The second studio with the new engineer is where i'm going to redo the bass parts and they'll sound great.

Will the 680 growl like the 750 if its matched with the 728? What about the Ashdown pre? I tried one of those today and it sounded like it could be a good match. Anyone tried one of them?

I think i'm going to pick up a 62' reissue as well. So that will bring in a bit of a different tone in there as well.

Thanks everyone for all your responses by the way.

9. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I currently own a 750, used to own a 680, and on a couple occasions used the latter through a 728. IME, the 680/728 will not sound as aggressive as the 750, which is why I changed over. I found the 680 a bit more polite and more modern/detailed, whereas the 750 is sort of old school style brought up to date.

I know others have had lots of luck with the Ashdown, but I played one at a jam this past weekend, and compared to any of the Aguilar choices, it felt like a blanket was thrown over my sound.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There's lot's of threads like these where someone buys what most consider an amazing rig (Schroeder, Berg, Thunderfunk, Eden, whatever), and it's just not the right sound for them.

Sometimes the tone is just not what the user is looking for. From playing out of both of those wonderful pieces of gear separately, I would guess the tone is very 'big', with a huge low end. To some, that's not the best definition of 'cut'.

It sounds like maybe a head with more 'punch' (like the SVT suggested above), or a cab with more lower mid focus like an NV610 or Schroeder 410R might also do the trick.

To the thread originator.... don't feel bad if you aren't hearing what may others hear:)

11. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    to my ears anything with 2x15" is a bit overkill on the bottom end, but at the end of the day it is up to you.

If i was looking at berg gear i would be trying out the HT322 myself.

rather than buying the 728 and the 680 go and try some other cab combos. you might be surprised what you find.

Dave

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would say that you have a top quality rig, and IMHO a good amp/cab combination. But, as Ken pointed out, what may work great for some might not work well for you. Looking at your basses, I don't have a ton of experience with any of them, but it might be worth trying a different bass through that rig, just to see if it's the instrument(s) that isn't matching up ideally.

If you consider the 728 (which is a flat out great amp, IMHO), I have found that it puts its sonic footprint down no matter what preamp you use. The 728 has this almost 3D-like quality to it, and what I like to call "sonic texture." You can just about feel the notes as a tactile experience. I do get this feeling with some other gear, but the 728 imparts this like nothing else I have tried. With the 659, it can get nicely gritty/growly. With the 680, it presents this sense of "powerful clarity" that I find very addicting. Another killer preamp with this amp, believe it or not, is the Tube Works Blue Tube. Very warm, punchy, yet articulate. But really, just about any quality preamp is going to work well with a 728. Just pick a preamp you like, and you should be happy.

That said, I also think that you may have 'engineer issues' going on.

Tom.

13. jazzbasser79

jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    So I redid my bass lines today with my rig and it sounded amazing. This new engineer really knows his stuff when it comes to tape.

I was loaned a 66 P bass which cut through everything and was still heard drowned in the mix. The growl was amazing. Then I used my "old woody" 79 reissue with bartolini's for other songs and everything sounded great. I think its just a matter of finding the right basses but I'm still considering the nv610. I think i'll hold off on the 728 because the 750 just puts such a big smile on my bands face...once the room stops buzzing that is.

Thanks for all your replies. I think it boiled down to idiotic engineer issues which have been solved.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Very cool!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    ;)