Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar & Matt Garrison split?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danny Adair, Jan 2, 2002.

1. I recently an interview with Matt Garrison on another boring and highly inferior :D bass website where he indicated that he is no longer working with Aguilar. Specifically, his words were "I don't work with Aguilar anymore. They weren't very helpful." Hmm. Has anyone heard what MG is now endorsing in the amp department?

Perhaps Matt is following in the footsteps of another dazzlingly talented endorsement-chaser: Oteil Burbridge. Seen any new Burbridge Peavey gear recently? Didn't think so...

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I think you might be suprised what he goes with. Pay attention to the cab's he plays!!!

There is a new preamp coming out on the market and it blows everything away I have ever played through!!! And I have to say I've played them all!

3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hey Brian,
    That's the second cryptic comment you've made about Matt Garrett's choice of cab. What does he play?

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I know he keeps popping up in Epifani ads. I guess they have a pre in the works. Cool.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Epifani has an Amazing preamp that will be shown at NAMM this Jan 17-20.
    Its beyond anything that has been built for us bass plays todate. and its not confusing to work with either!!

It will be a must for many.........

heck here is a taste of the features:

" The Epifani preamp is the most powerful and versatile piece of equipment designed to-date. A must for all professional live and studio savvy players that are picky about their tone.
    The unit from left to right consist of dual inputs for passive & active, and a noise reduction pot for adjust sensitivity. Next is the gain control followed by bass 1 & bass 2. Two individual bass knobs, that have different bass stages, which have a selector switch so that you bounce between the to adjustment (also selectable by pedal). Next on the front of the Epifani preamp is the Mid gain with a 7 position mid selector for different mid stages followed by the treble (push/pull for bright). Two built in compressors selectable by a 3-position switch (comp 1 – Off – Comp 1). This allows you the ability to select the degree of compression. Master volume for the preamp with a mute and finally the power on/off for the unit.
    The back panel of the Epifani preamp consists of dual main outputs along with send and return for effects. A tuner out along with an output for the pedal which controls the 2 bass stages and the mute. A direct out with volume control and a 3-position control for speaker emulator, post eq., direct. An optional Jensen transformer is available as an upgrade. "

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    interesting that they seemingly sacrificed eq flexibility to include multiple compressors, although i do like the parallel gain stages (then again, i've never played a bass that didn't have a volume knob, and i'd rather have more flexible eq, like say on my db-680 ;) ). nevertheless, it sounds cool. i'll have to check that out at the show.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Doesn't sound like the preamp for me, either, but I'll wait to try it. I don't like compression.

I bet Garrison will probably just use a standard power amp (mackie, crown, etc) with the preamp. No big deal there, I guess.

What's up with Oteil, though? I'm sure it's for another thread, but still. I know Modulus "discontinued" his bass, though it's now available as a "semi-hollow with f-hole" option.

8. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well why did Gary Willis drop Eden and hook up with Aguilar when he was quoted as saying "...Eden is the best amplification ever..." isn't it all about money

9. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    a funny thing about that is that Garry's sound doesn't change even though he switched amps/cabs. weird....