Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-1 and Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowend72, Sep 14, 2004.

1. lowend72

lowend72

Sep 9, 2004
    Houston
    Anyone ever put an OBP-1 in a Fender Jazz bass?

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    That's exactly what I was going to do to my last jazz as it had ultra j's which are sort of mid-strong with not enough bottom for my tastes. So I sold it and bought a reissue. Figure the cost... $100 shipped for the Aggie, luthier active re-wire & custom routing slightly over $100. I just decided I want any jazz I have to be passive, really what they're intended for IMO. Save up for a G&L or something to get some mean active bottom. Or just buy a Aggie, Sansamp, Sadowsky or Raven Labs outboard preamp box. Good luck in your tone search.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try the Aggie with a passive tone control too. Thats what I did on my new Valenti.

Since the OPB-1 is boost only and is pretty damn transparent when the knobs are set to minimum its like having the best of both worlds.

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I put one in an American Deluxe 5 string, but I only used one battery (not 2). I didn't want to route for the other battery, and there was no room in the control cavity for the second.

It improved the sound tremendously (IMHO).

If I had to do it again, I would go the outboard direction. Same sound, but no mods to the bass.

Don

5. I just snagged an new Aguilar 924 outboard pre off of Ebay for $105....Randy at Bass Atlanta (the seller) e-mailed me and advised that he paid $137 for it and that I got a heck of a deal...but I knew that! :smug: It's due to arrive tomorrow and I'm anxious to see what it does for the low end on my Geddy Lee jazz....I'll post my findings.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Ya jerk, boy you're gunna have fun with that thing. Yeah please definitely keep us posted.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, my main 4-string is a '71 Jazz, at this point it's been fully-disco'd out with an OBP-1, UltraJazzes and a favorite wiring config that allows series-parallel switching, bypassing the pots, etc.

My guitar tech did do some routing for the OBP-1: dual battery box in the rear, and a route for the OBP-1 under the pickguard. Turned out great, and I'm very pleased with it, actually I've never played a Jazz bass I've liked more.

8. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO

I just got one for $82 from the same source. I'll be using it with an MIA jazz and a SCPB Sting.

Glenn D.

9. A better deal yet!!! :hyper: What's your initial impression of the Ag 924?

10. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I use mine with a US 75 Jazz RI, and it sounds really good. Adds a ton of low end thump and punch, and is extremely transparent sounding (doesn't color the sound much). Basically, it's like the sound of your bass, but with more "oomph" on the low end and sparkle on the high end (if that makes sense)

Don

11. Hey Don---that makes sense for sure and is EXACTLY what I'm looking to get out of it! :) My 924 is due to arrive today and I can't wait to check it out. Interestingly enough, I'm swapping basses with a local guy today as well and what I'm going to get is a US 75 Jazz RI...Lake Placid Blue with a matching headstock...very nice looking. I've never played one before so it should be fun---this is going to be one great bass day!!! Hopefully more gas will be dissipated than the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles!! :D

12. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Haven't got it yet. Initial impression: great price!

Glenn D.

13. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I may be off then (I can't ever remember the numbers on the Aggie stuff for some reason). Mine is just the outboard pre, not the DI box...

Does the DI box have the pre built in?

Sorry for the stupid questions...

Don

14. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Er...
    This is a super Stupid Qn...
    What Preamp Is For Volume And Tone?
    Is It the OBP- 1??

And Why Do Pple Take the Trouble of Installing the Preamp When They Can Just Buy the Outboard Preamp??

I Plan To Buy a Fender Standard MIJ P-Bass And Mod It with SPB3 Quarter Pound Pickups...
    Does the Pickup Work With The OBP- 1??

What is the Difference of Passive and Active Electronics??

Why are Switches Needed in Some Basses?

Which Of These
    http://www.aguilaramp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AA&Category_Code=PS
    Work With the SPB-3 Quarter Pound Pickup and OBP- 1 ??

Sorry For the Dumb Qns...
    Im A complete noob

15. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Ouh And BTW, I play Punk Rock

16. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    i put a OMP-2 in my jazz bass but with the original pickups there was too much noise, with EMGs i ,now have super quiet and fantastic sounding tones, i also put a badass on it.
    also with the OBP2 its only 1 battery andit all fits (with a shove) in a standard jazz bass cavity

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yes, the OBP-1 allows you to adjust the boost of bass and treble. The volume is controlled before the OBP-1.

Probably so that they can adjust the tone while they're playing and not have to reach for a stop box or head back to their amp.

It should.

A bass with active electronics requires a battery. One without does not.

If you look at the wiring instructions for the ODB-1 on Aguilar's web site, you'd see that you'd want these...

http://www.aguilaramp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AA&Product_Code=25kS

Perhaps you should give yourself a break...they're not dumb questions and if you were truly a noob, you wouldn't be asking them...

18. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I use a DB924 with my G&L JB2 and it sounds great. Just in case anyone is still not clear on this, the DB924 is the OBP1 in a box. Only difference is you get a master volume control in addition to bass and treble. I originally wanted to install an OBP1 but it was required way too much routing, especially since I wanted to keep the passive tone in the bass.