Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-1 for that "Marcus" tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Sep 22, 2005.

1. Bueno Cat's,
    I'm thinking really seriously about taking out the stock Fender Marcus Miller Pre amp and installing an Aguilar OBP-1. Anybody out there tried this? What's your opinion? Will it give me That "Marcus" tone, closer than the Fender Pre?? Hope to hear from the Choir!

Bobbo 77"

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I seem to remember reading that the Marcus tone comes from a maple-necked, ash body Jazz with 70's pup placement, and that the pre's only advantage is that it gives you more tone shaping options.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Although the Aggie is a great preamp, this will most certainly resault in a "Marcus" tone.

Also, Blackbird; Bobbo 77' already mentioned he was replacing the stock preamp impliying he has a Marcus Miller signature with an Ash body, Maple neck and vintage-wound pups. Also an EBS amp would work wonders. :smug:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why would the Sadowsky preamp sound more like Marcus than an Aggie? Roger only installed the preamp in Miller's bass, no modifications, no nothing, and it's a Bartolini preamp.

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I understood that. I was implying that he already has all the necessary elements to get the Marcus tone and that the only advantage of the pre is that it gives more tone shaping options. :rolleyes:

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd agree with this also

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    A few months ago in Bass Player, the one with Miller on the cover, it talks about Sadowsky modifying the preamp. I have the issue right here. But yeah. Sorry about the misinterpetation, Blackbird. I also agree that 90% of Marcus tone doesn't come from the preamp, but you must admit it does add something. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :meh:

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Sadowsky preamp is based on the aggie preamp :meh:

10. The best preamp I've found that accentuates the inherent 70's J Bass thing and really pops the Marcus Style funk is the Greengrove preamp that Chris Celinder uses. It has just the right treble frequencies to really bring out and enhance that raw single coil, 70's placement, heavy ash, maple neck, etc., etc. If you are looking for a 'Marcus' type tone... the Greengrove is literally perfect. Don't really hear that in the Sadowsky pre. I have an AG OB-3 in a bass currently... wonderful pre, but very clean with a very high treble center frequency (6.5K). If the OB-1 has the same treble frequency center... it doesn't seem like that would be a very good fit with a 70's Jazz... however, I could be wrong on that one.

The Greengrove is the bomb!!!!! :bassist:

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    KJung is correct, Greengrove is very Marcus. (I've only heard the clips from the Celinder site though!) Also, the J-Retro sounds pretty great for it. (check out edfriendland.com under equipment...Ed's 70's jazz sounds awesome with the Retro). Also, there is a Retro drop-in replacement for the Marcus. Finally, I think the Benavente pre does it pretty well.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've played a Celinder with the Greengrove preamp. I love it.

I believe the frequencey point on the obp-1 is 4k.

13. +1 on the J-Retro... if you can just drop that in... that would be the ticket. The Greengrove is awesome, but I assume it's not a drop-in.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The EBS doesn't really have anything to do with it... any more than his SWR rig did.
    ;)

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

BP was wrong. This really should be an FAQ;)

BTW I get that 70's Jazz sound out of one of my non-Fenders with an Aggie OBP-3. I was surprised at how much I like that preamp in a heavy Ash/ Maple necked bass.

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    You should be able to get that type of tone PERIOD ! regardless of any type of preamp you choose to install,and IMO if it's a copy of the 70's Ash body Jazz bass you shouldn't really need one at all.BTW you can get a american made 70's reissue Ash bodied Jazz bass from Fender,yeah it's about a grand or so,but it beats the hell out of forking over damn'er 1800.00 t0 2000.00 bucks for a true vintage one