1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 28, 2001.

1. I'm thinking about adding a onboard preamp to my Jazz bass. I've read about the J-retro (kind of pricey), I can't find a distributor of the Moon AC-1 in the US, and now I'm looking at the Aguilar OBP-1.

I recently added DiMarzio Model J pups to my bass which increased the lows, added much punch, and gave my bass a nasty growl (I recomend these pups).

Does anyone have experience with the Aguilar OBP-1 and would there be a problem using them with the Model J pickups?

How easy is the installation?

Thanks,

2. I had an OBP-1 in a Fender Jazz Plus, and loved it!

I sold the bass, tho', because it had a dead spot.

(So the OBP-1 isn't perfect -- it didn't automatically and magically reinforce the neck of the bass.)

But in terms of what a preamp can actually do, it was ideal; it had great transparency, clear treble boost, and huge booty on the bass control.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's is AWESOME. I have it in a Warmoth bass i built w/EMG 40 J's & the OBP-1 & it's one of the best sounding basses I own.

If you have some soldering experience, it shouldn't be a problen to install it.

Note: It has 2 tone controls. If you want 2 vol or a vol & a selector, you might have to do some mods & there might not be enough room under the control plate for the preamp & 2 9V batterues. Which means you might have to route under the pickguard for it to fit.