Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 28, 2001.

1. I'm thinking about adding a onboard preamp to my Jazz bass. I've read about the J-retro (kind of pricey), I can't find a distributor of the Moon AC-1 in the US, and now I'm looking at the Aguilar OBP-1.

I recently added DiMarzio Model J pups to my bass which increased the lows, added much punch, and gave my bass a nasty growl (I recomend these pups).

Does anyone have experience with the Aguilar OBP-1 and would there be a problem using them with the Model J pickups?

How easy is the installation?

Thanks,

2. I had an OBP-1 in a Fender Jazz Plus, and loved it!

I sold the bass, tho', because it had a dead spot.

(So the OBP-1 isn't perfect -- it didn't automatically and magically reinforce the neck of the bass.)

But in terms of what a preamp can actually do, it was ideal; it had great transparency, clear treble boost, and huge booty on the bass control.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's is AWESOME. I have it in a Warmoth bass i built w/EMG 40 J's & the OBP-1 & it's one of the best sounding basses I own.

If you have some soldering experience, it shouldn't be a problen to install it.

Note: It has 2 tone controls. If you want 2 vol or a vol & a selector, you might have to do some mods & there might not be enough room under the control plate for the preamp & 2 9V batterues. Which means you might have to route under the pickguard for it to fit.