Aguilar OBP-1...PROS/CONS????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Mar 10, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of doing some bass modifying this summer...I'm thinking of putting an Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp into my Washburn XB-200...and possibly into an Ibanez SRX505 (and restringing it to EADGC)...I'm also thinking of adding a custom cust pickguard (done by me) on my Washburn, possibly of the Rosewood variety, that is if I can get my hands on some...I've already ordered some Sperzel Tuners for the washburn...thinking of upgrading the bridge and going for a Schaller 463 bridge (the screw holes don't line up, so would I have to fill the existing ones and drill brand new ones?)...lesse, possibly putting some new and better pots into it...hmmm maybe routing out a hole for one of those ultra cool battery boxes too...hmmm.

SO I'm interested to hear everyones opinion!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The only disadvantage that I see is that the controls are boost-only, and I like to have a treble cut available. However, Aguilar has a diagram available that shows how to wire in a passive tone pot, and if you did that , this would no longer be a disadvantage, unless you wanted to cut bass. Supposed to be a pretty cool preamp.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Say BassnSax,

Sorry, I know this is slightly off topic, but how is yr
    the SRX505? I've seen something at Bass Northwest that has just knocked me out. Its a 5 string with a black stained flame finish. I've seen this in a 4 string in flat black, but not one like this. Is this yr bass, and how is it stock?

http://bassnw.com/New Standard Basses/ibanez_srx505tk_5_st.htm

Thanx for the feedback!!!

Ron