Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-1...PROS/CONS????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Mar 10, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of doing some bass modifying this summer...I'm thinking of putting an Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp into my Washburn XB-200...and possibly into an Ibanez SRX505 (and restringing it to EADGC)...I'm also thinking of adding a custom cust pickguard (done by me) on my Washburn, possibly of the Rosewood variety, that is if I can get my hands on some...I've already ordered some Sperzel Tuners for the washburn...thinking of upgrading the bridge and going for a Schaller 463 bridge (the screw holes don't line up, so would I have to fill the existing ones and drill brand new ones?)...lesse, possibly putting some new and better pots into it...hmmm maybe routing out a hole for one of those ultra cool battery boxes too...hmmm.

SO I'm interested to hear everyones opinion!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The only disadvantage that I see is that the controls are boost-only, and I like to have a treble cut available. However, Aguilar has a diagram available that shows how to wire in a passive tone pot, and if you did that , this would no longer be a disadvantage, unless you wanted to cut bass. Supposed to be a pretty cool preamp.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Say BassnSax,

Sorry, I know this is slightly off topic, but how is yr
    the SRX505? I've seen something at Bass Northwest that has just knocked me out. Its a 5 string with a black stained flame finish. I've seen this in a 4 string in flat black, but not one like this. Is this yr bass, and how is it stock?

http://bassnw.com/New Standard Basses/ibanez_srx505tk_5_st.htm

Thanx for the feedback!!!

Ron