1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar OBP-1 vs OBP-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rodent, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I recently received a friend's bass for a little customization job that includes adding an Aguilar OBP-1 to a previously passive bass.

I've installed several OBP-1's and love their tonal flexibility and neutralness, and I've become accustomed to their tight 1"x1" footprint that can be wedged just about anywhere. When the bass arrived I was surprised to find the OBP-1 unit supplied in the parts box was an older (?) used model that measures 2-1/8" x 1-5/16" x 1/2".

Is there any significant differences between the current "cube" model and this older(?) model? All the 9 wires appear to have the same coloring scheme, so I assume the schematic for hook-up is identical to the new model. I'm most curious if there is any sound, noise, and/or performance differences - and of the 'vintage' Aguilar collectability value this might have.

all the best,

R

2. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Probably not. If they started with a good thing, why change it?

They probably just decided to use (more) surface mount components to decrease size so that it could easily fit in small places. Keep in mind that most Fenders, and the knock-offs, don't have that much space in the electronics cavity. Not all basses have the huge rear routed cavity.

3. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

This is true!

Dave B.

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Thanks for the replies guys - and for confirming what I had hoped to learn was true!

all the best,

R