Aguilar OBP-2 Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Jan 26, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Hey all,

Is it possible to put a 1 pickup 2 knob configured preamp on my Fender MIM Standard P-bass.

because i was thinking that it might be.

heres the link
    its the 1 pup 2 knob. its 126 $.

Could anyone recomend an onboard preamp to put in my pbass.

thanks in advance.
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    As far as I know, it is possible to use the OBP-2 in a two-know configuration: one knob for volume, and the other is a stacked bass/treble pot.

As far as recommendations, people seem to be pretty happy with the Aguilar onboard preamps, but I would probably go with an OBP-1. The OBP-1 is boost-only, so that might not sit well with you, but the frequency center on the treble is at 4kHz (rather than 6.5kHz on the OBP-2), which seems like a much more musical spot to put the treble center.
  3. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    ^^Thanks for the help,

i have also seen that bartolini makes a two knob configuration volume and stack tone.

how do you think that would be?
  4. A big +1 on the 1 versus the 2.... the treble center freq is very high on the 2 and 3. That high treble freq seems to work OK on the OB-3, since you have some additional control of the mids (and especially the high mids with the switchable mid EQ). However, just a bass control along with that very high treble center point would not be very useful IMO.
  5. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    ^^so do yall say go with the obp-1

6. I have not heard the OB-2, but have experience with the OB-3. If the OB-2 is basically the OB-3 without the mid control (according to the specs on the site, that's what it is), my feeling is that's a bad thing Given the high center point of that treble control, there is just too much space between the bass and treble controls on that circuit.

So, I would go with the OB-1 or the OB-3 (if you really have to have 'cut and boost'... I still don't particularly like the treble contol on the OB-2... more useful for cutting extreme brightness than for dialing in usable treble IMO... but at least it has the mid control to cover the space between the bass and the extreme 6.5K treble).
  7. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've installed an OBP-2 in one of my personal basses and so far, I like it.

I brought it to 2 band rehearsals (2 different bands). The way I like to play my basses is leave the preamp on the amp flat and start with the on-board set flat as well and adjust that as needed through rehearsal.

The bass is a Jazz bass with a pair of Nordstrand NJ4SE hum-cancelling pickups. The 1st night, the bass went through an SVT-IIIPRO/SVT-810 and the second night it went through a GK 1001RB/GK410/GK115.

At either rehearsal, I didn't need to adjust the preamp too much to get a sound I liked. Just a bit of bass and treble and I was set for the night. I like the fact on the OBP-2 that it's cut/boost. IME, a lot people feel that a bass is too bright even with the preamp set flat and since you can cut the treble, and warm up the sound a little.

Another Preamp:
    I've read a lot of good things about the Raven Labs PBR-1. This is a direct replacement for P basses.
    More info here:
  9. +1 As I mentioned above, the treble control does work well for cutting extreme high end, and to take the edge off of a bright sounding bass. However, not so good for adding 'bite and grind' back in (as the Sadowsky and OB-1 do so well IMO). I guess it just depends what you want. I actually prefer the Sadowsky boost only thing with a passive tone control to take the edge off in necessary.

It's all subjective and personal opinion at this point...
  10. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    A question about the boost-only issue that I've always wondered about:

If you want to cut the treble freq's with a 2-band eq, and there's no "cut" control, you would boost the bass and then cut the volume knob to compensate for the increased volume. Doesn't that produce the same result as cutting treble on a boost-and-cut control? (Note: I realize there may be a difference if the frequency centers differ but, for the purposes of this question, let's assume they are the same.)
  11. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    so what kind of tone with the raven labs give me.

and also where can you buy it,
    im pretty interested in this because i want to make preamp installation as easy as possible.

12. That's very different to me... you would get a simultaneous mid and treble cut, which is usually a bad thing in a live situation. Since I've heard very few issues of people cutting the bass using the bass control, there's really no problem with the boost only two band IF you have a passive tone control. That works wonderfully.

I've played a few Sadowsky Metro's without the passive tone control, and really feel those basses need that option... there's no way to dial enough treble out of them when needed. I even find the RW/Alder models too zingy for many situations. However, if you add that passive tone circuit... no problem.