1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OBP-2 vs Sadowsky Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daynsish, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Daynsish

Daynsish

Aug 10, 2012
    South London
    Hey guys, I have a Japanese Fender 75 Reissue Jazz Bass that I want to make active.

I've played a Sadowsky bass and loved the tone, so I wanted get one of their preamps for my Fender, but they're really hard to find (English guy here), and their website always seems to be out of stock.

I've seen a bunch of different stories from different threads saying how the aggie and the sad were made by the same person or whatever, but I just wanna know if they sound the same and what are the main differences.

Look forward to hearing from ya ;)

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I believe the OBP-1 is the Aggie pre that is similar to the Sadowsky. OBP-2 is boost/cut, rather than the boost only OBP-1 and Sadowsky.

3. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Also, OBP-2 has a higher treble point, I believe it is 6.5K vs 4K on the Sadowsky. I would take a Sadowsky any day, just something magical about those preamps

4. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, I had an OBP-3 in my Lull M5V when I bought it. Even in passive mode the bass had a hard time working in a mix (it was muddy and getting lost in the mix - although it sounded good alone in a room). The EQ did nothing to help the situation. I switched it for a Sadowsky preamp and the difference was night and day. Now the bass works great in a mix (in passive or active mode). If you like the Sadowsky sound then get on the Sadowsky waiting list or keep your eyes on the TB classifieds. It will be worth the wait. :)

5. jag-atk

jag-atk

May 5, 2010
    if you are in uk you can buy the Sadowsky preamp from thomann in germany (http://www.thomann.de/gb/electronics_for_basses.html). i purchased mine from them a couple of weeks ago to replace the pre in my marcus miller jazz, amazing upgrade imho. hope this helps.

6. Daynsish

Daynsish

Aug 10, 2012
    South London
    ahh thanks mate