Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3.... 9V or 18V?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, Oct 22, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm going to buy an Aguilar OBP-3 to control two Bartolini MM style humbuckers (MMX in the bridge position and an MMC in the neck position). Would I be better off supply the power with a single 9V or two 9V's (i.e. 18V)?

I've often been told that 18V is always better, but was skeptical. The reason being is that in another custom project that I did using an SD Basslines MM humbucker with an SD preamp, the signal was so incredibly hot on just a 9V power supply that I have to really watch it when I plug into an amp, and have never had successful results with my wireless unit (it seems to overpower the wireless and cause it to distort).

So, any help, advice or opinions you could throw my way would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

seems the OBP-3 diagrams showed 18v but to my knowledge there's no problem with running them 9v. I ran 18V with mine but I had an OBP-1 that I ran as 9v, and seems they're recommend for 18v also. Typically adding the extra battery gives more headroom but there's no change that I know of otherwise. I've read about some 27v wiring and even saw a post here on TB for 36v (so jumper cables and a diehard is not far down the road).

To my knowledge, how hot the output is has nothing to do with how many batteries you use. That would be in the boost, the pups, and how close the pups are to the strings.

Often space is at a premium and is a deciding factor.

Regardless, nothing complicated or costly, wire it both way and decide for yourself.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Will having two batteries increase the overall battery life? For instance, if I had a 9V battery and it allowed for X hours of continuous playing, would an 18V system allow for (X x 2) hours of playing?

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it would equate to more life, although I'm also pretty sure it wouldn't be twice as much.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It wouldn't last twice as long but it would last longer. If you have the room I'd recommend 18v but 9v is supposed to be sufficient.