Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3 + Basslines ASB-5 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Alright, I want to replace the stock MEC pre-amp in my warwick with an Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp. My bass has seymour duncan basslines ASB-5 phase I soapbars. I want to do a four knob configuration, stacked bass/treble. I also want to use a push/pull volume (or mid?) pot to control the mid frequency.

Does anybody know the values of the pots I should use for the volume and blend? I emailed seymour duncan, and they wrote back to just make sure that the pre-amp works for active pickups and that was enough. Unfortunately the OBP-3 doesn't even come with the vol and blen pots, so I have no idea what I need to use. Suggestions?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's the current control layout of your bass? You can use the current Blend that's currently in the bass, assuming there is one.

I tried looking for a 50k PUSH/PULL with center detent (mid control) but I couldn't find one. If you have a hard time findind a 100K push/pull, you might want to consider a mini switch for the mid shift. That is what I did for this bass. The VOl has a push/pull to bypass the preamp. The mini switch is between the mid and bass/treble controls.

[​IMG]

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, SD recommend 100k vol pots.
    There ARE 50k pots with center detent and push/pull out there, Bart use them with their preamps to get mid freq select, but I haven't found them for sale at any of the usual suspects.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    My warwick currently has the stock MEC pre-amp. It's a three band pre-amp, 4 knob with the a vol/blend that is stacked and push/pull. It's in pretty sad shape though, and may be what is introducing some noise. The previous owner of this bass really let it go.

Any idea where I can get the correct pots?