Aguilar OBP 3 Help!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mlopbass, Oct 23, 2015.

1. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    Im trying to install this preamp into my American Deluxe jazz bass.
    first question... the diagrams send the grounds to the jack.. is that the best way to do them or is there another way?
    second.. im trying to install the active/passive switch but im confused with one section of the diagram.
    The thin line going from the top left corner to the bottom right. Is that a wire? do they have to be connected as shown?
    http://aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp3_V2.pdf

2. 1. All grounds must interconnect. It does not make any difference how you do it, as long as it gets done.

2. Yes.

3. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    Thank you for replying! line6man
    My jack has several different locations to solder wire. are these specific? Or as long as it goes to the jack?
    and what kind of wire is best to use for volume to blend for example? or to use for the grounding?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  4. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    heres an example of the original jack wiring.. How do I make it work with the aguilar?

Attached Files:

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Yes, they are specific. At least once a month someone starts a thread with "active bass eats batteries" and it's almost always because someone repaired or replaced an output jack and wired it incorrectly.

That's a different type of jack than what's shown on the Aguilar diagram; the Aguilar diagram shows a standard TRS (stereo) output jack; the jack shown in the lower diagram is a special switching jack, note how it has four wires going to it instead of three.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  6. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    So it would be best to get a new input jack? Ive already replaced the volume and blend pot, I didn't think about the jack :/

7. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    Would this work?

Attached Files:

• jack.png
      jack.png
      File size:
      82.9 KB
      Views:
    LoveThatBass likes this.
  8. The jack that you have is cheap junk. You want a high quality open-frame panel-mount jack, like the Switchcraft jack in your attachment.

Also, it is an OUTPUT jack, not an input jack.

9. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    wow really? you would think in an American deluxe they would have good quality jacks smh... so with the switchcraft one ill be able to finish the job?

10. Not really. Those plastic jacks are found on a lot of gear.

Yes, the Switchcraft jack is all you need.

11. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    alright sounds good. one last question, what is the best kind of wire to use inside my bass? (volume to blend, volume to ground) is there anything in specific?

12. 22 gauge stranded copper.

13. Wire it exactly like the second diagram in the Aguilar link you supplied. You will be using a Switchcraft Stereo Jack (Tip, Ring, Sleeve). The black Battery (-)ground goes to the the Sleeve lug, The circuit black common wires to the Ring (medium length bar), and the green (active signal) goes to the bypass switch then connects to the tip (longest bar) of the output jack (F.Y.I. if you didn't have bypass switch the green from the active module would connect directly to the wire lug for the tip). So when you connect the mono 1/4" plug into the Jack the Long sleeve acts like a switch and connects the ring and sleeve together completing your circuit and turning on the Active amp.

14. It is the other way around. Wiring like that will leave the preamp powered on at all times, greatly reducing battery life.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  15. You are correct. My mistake. Thank you, that what you said is the way I wire mine up. duh

16. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    Thank you guys for the help! I was really confused but now I understand. Greatly appreciated

LoveThatBass likes this.
  17. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    If you use adhesive copper shielding in your cavity, then you can solder as many earth leads directly onto it as you want. Then you need just one good earth strap onto your jack.

18. mlopbass

mlopbass

Jan 7, 2010
    p 3 preamp in my bass.. Exactly as it was shown in the diagrams.. I plug in my bass and it works fine in passive mode.. As soon as I turn on the preamp.. There is popping noises.. When I pluck the string hard enough to it starts making thumping sounds.. I'm not sure what's wrong

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022