Aguilar OBP-3/Neutrik wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eric Perry, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Hi guys,
    I have a question. I recently had an Aguilar OBP-3 installed in my custom Conklin. I didn't do the work, there's WAY too many wires on that damn preamp!

Well, the tech told me that the Neutrik jack couldn't be wired up to the preamp, and had to install a regular output jack. Granted, he did a very good job, and fabricated the plate well, but I want the stock jack back in that puppy. I have no doubt it can be wired correctly, I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to wiring, etc. If anyone can give me schematic or explain it, I could easily swap 'em myself.

Thanks SO much in advance!!!
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    HMMMM...Weird, I'm looking forward to other people's replies on this. I haven't used one yet myself, but plan to soon. I thought a jack was a jack....or maybe your tech isn't too tech-enough.
    What's up with this one fellas?
  3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'm with JSP on this one. I can think of absolutely no reason why a regular jack would work and a nuetrik wouldn't, at least from a wiring standpoint. It should terminate exactly as it does on a normal quarter inch "phone jack".
  4. I don't know if all neutriks are TRS, but if they're not, then maybe that's what you have in your bass. I know active pres need stereo jacks in order to switch on/off. I did test this with a neutrik I got and it works ok with an active pre. I think the model is NJ3FP6C
  5. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Neutriks are TRS but they are labelled TRG on the casing. Hot signal lead goes to T, battery negative connects to R, and G goes to ground. I've done it more than once with an OBP-3 so I know it works.
  6. Thanks to everyone that responded. The specific jack model # is NJ3FP6. I'm going to try to wire it later this afternoon. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again!!!
  7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Tim got it right, the Neutrik will work just fine with most preamps out there. TRS = Tip/Ring/Sleeve = signal/18V-/ground. The Neutrik is labeled, which is pretty convenient actually. There should be diagrams for the OBP-3 available on the Aguilar web site if you need to figure out which wire is the output. It's either blue or green, I think.
  8. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    It's the green for the output, I just wired one of these up last night. with a Nuetrik in fact.
  9. I have that jack and preamp on my bass.