Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3/Neutrik wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Hi guys,
    I have a question. I recently had an Aguilar OBP-3 installed in my custom Conklin. I didn't do the work, there's WAY too many wires on that damn preamp!

Well, the tech told me that the Neutrik jack couldn't be wired up to the preamp, and had to install a regular output jack. Granted, he did a very good job, and fabricated the plate well, but I want the stock jack back in that puppy. I have no doubt it can be wired correctly, I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to wiring, etc. If anyone can give me schematic or explain it, I could easily swap 'em myself.

Thanks SO much in advance!!!

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You can't wire up the neutrik locking jack because it's not stereo. The aguilar needs a stereo jack (even though it carries a mono signal).

3. I had this question a couple of weeks ago - adding a LED to a pre-amp circuit that was switched on by inserting the jackplug (into a Neutrik locking jack socket).
    [​IMG]
    This works fine for me. Same Neutrik jack socket as above link. Ring and tip are connected together only on inserting the jack, thus switching on the circuit. Presumably the battery is not being drained when the plug is not in, otherwise the LED would continue to shine?

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I added an OBP-3, kept the 4-way and volume controls. Added a B/T stacked, mid and a mini mid select.

5. Rockbobmel

I forgot to say, I don't have the Nutrik stereo jack yet, so I have to unplug the battery. The controls all work backwards- counterclockwise = gain.....:confused:

6. hmm, any kind of locking jack on something that is moving around scares me. OK on speaker cabs and amps, but step on your own cord while it is locked in place in the bass and more than just the cable will come out :rollno: I have seen it happen. Unless you guys do not move much on stage or have stage divers:smug:

7. Rockbobmel

I still loop my cord through my strap.

8. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Your silly. Locking jacks are there to look cool. :p

9. my silly? :ninja:

10. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Well you're silly. ;) But it can be your silly too, if you want. :)

11. ;) :bassist:

12. At the time I asked the question ( three years ago... Who dug this thread up??? :p) I was wired. I've since switched to a Sennheiser wireless unit and am glad the Neutrik jack is gone. It looks cool and all, but is a pain in the arss. It had some merit when I was wired, but is worthless if you run wireless, as I now do.

13. It seems RockBobby brought this back up. Yes this is done with no problems I wired my bass up with an OBP-3 and Neutrik input. The negative form the battery(or after the 2nd battery for 18V) is attached to the ring. while the rest of the grounds are attached to the sleeve. Aguilar has this wiring diagram on their website if you need it. They are all shown with Stereo jacks.