1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OBP-3 Pedal?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Nuttboy311

Nuttboy311

May 30, 2002
    Ok, so I've got an Aguilar OBP-3 and I would really like to add it to my passive fretless bass, but I don't want to have to route a cavity for the two 9 volt batteries. So, I was curious if anyone has tried to create a pedal out of an Aguilar preamp (OBP-1, 2, or 3) and how they did it and how it worked out. I only found one result on Google, but I was a little confused by the guy's use of an FX loop within the pedal, not that I couldn't figure it out, but I'd like to see what else is out there first. If any of you have tried, or know for sure how it would turn out, please lend me a hand, I would really appreciate it!!! :help:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The OBP-2 and OBP-3 are both capable of running at 9 volts.

3. Nuttboy311

Nuttboy311

May 30, 2002
    Oh, I didn't know that, thats actually pretty cool! I'd still like to find out about turning it into a pedal, it seems like it could be a cool thing to try.

4. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Bloomington, IN
    i made a pedal out of my Fender Marcus Miller pre using an old Rat pedal. it should be relatively easy, just find a suitable pedal/enclosure, follow the directions for the pots and output jack as normal, then wire an input jack in place where the pickup outputs/ground would normally be wired to the pre. and with the marcus pre, i still had the active/passive bypass switch in place.

5. Nuttboy311

Nuttboy311

May 30, 2002
    That sounds awesome, thanks! How did the pedal end up sounding? Was the difference noticeable?

6. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Yes I did it. :D
    I was planning to install it to some bass, but before routing new pot holes I put it first into the box to know how it sounds with other basses too.
    Now that bass is sold and I kept the outboard..
    It is still in that temporary plastic box and without switch, I am lazy to work it out better, and I use Sadowsky pedal now more often.
    Sorry for crappy mobile camera pics.
    s5vl6t.
    s5vkw6.
    s5w7d5.
    s5vkux.
    s5vl37.

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have been wanting to do this for a long time! I'm glad someone did. Thanks for the pics!

8. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    Now I'm interested in doing this, but having a low-z output and a parallel 1/4 inch.

Anybody made a pedal like that before?

9. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Bloomington, IN
    no difference in sound that i could hear, worked great(for being a Marcus pre,lol), but ended up buying an aggie db924 outboard for the pedalboard instead.

10. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  11. Isn't the tone hammer the OBP-3 in a box??

12. biggreddbass

biggreddbass

Jun 18, 2008
    You should try the Tone Hammer.

It's similar, but not the same as the OBP-3.