Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3 pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by morebassbaby, Dec 7, 2002.

1. morebassbaby

morebassbaby Spector Club member #379 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey guys,
    I was just wondering if any of you have put in the OBP-3 and how it sounds. Also, I just bought it but have not installed it yet b/c the bass/ treble is on a concentric knob. I need a knob that will fit the pots right. Any suggestions?

2. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I recently installed an OBP3 in my Modulus Q5.The set up is with stacked bass/treble. I've had a rough time finding the right concentric knobs. I sent an email to Aguilar for some help. Since I don't know how to attach their reply to this message, send me an email at vpuccio@comcast.net and I'll forward their reply to you. If you find the right knobs, let me know.

The preamp itself is good, but hasn't blown me away. I had an OBP1 in the bass previously. There doesn't seem to be alot of boost or cut around the center of the control. You really have to boost or cut a fair amount to feel or notice anything, especially with the mid control, unlike the 3 band eq on my Smith basses, which is super-sensitive. All things considered, I probably should have left the bass alone with the OBP1.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay, I want to know exactly what is said above...

Where do I get a dual 50k stacked w/ center detent?
    Where do I get either a 50/500k Stacked or a 50k Push pull?
    What other options can I explore?

I have a Modulus Q5 and I am not going to drill any extra holes in it. Would Trim pots work? What are my best options if the stacked pots don't exist?

And what if I wanted to wire this OBP-3 with a push/pull 25 k pot, wiring both PUs to the 1 pot since I never usually pan? Would that work, running "single volume-treb-mid-bass" and the p/p is the mid freq select?

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
  5. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I believe EMG sells the 25k concentric. Not sure, but they also may sell the 50k concentric with detente. As for the ganged 50k linear/500k dual taper, good luck. The 500k dual taper is hard enough to find on its own. Ditto for a linear 50k push-pull. Aguilar should be the ones placing an order for those, it's perfect for their preamp.

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Not to start any anger against Aguilar, but there are so many options that they offer, yet it's impossible to find the parts needed. They will sell me the 50K stacked... the 50k single will work for mid. But even they told me that it's practically impossible to find the 500k dual. Why wouldn't they stock these pots?

I've been reviewing my options and here are the best ones I found (for my needs at least):

Vol/Vol stacked - Mid freq - mid level - B/T stacked

Vol - Pan - Mid level - Stacked b/t with a 500k dual floating around inside the cavity

Vol w/Push/Pull - Pan - Mid - B/T

Someone mentioned the fact that there is a certain warwick pot that can be used. I have one, believe it or not. It's a stacked vol/pan with a push/pull feature. If I wanted to use this to have a preamp bypass, how would I wire it up?

And WD has a 500k Pan pot w/ center detent. Would that work for the mid? It doesn't specify what taper it is, just that it's a pan pot between 2 humbuckers.

8. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    They don't stock the 500k dual taper because they probably have to order 500 pieces or something and they'll never sell them. You don't need this pot unless you absolutely have to have a sweepable mid. They should not have bothered including it in the wiring diagram, but they probably didn't realize no one would be able to find the part. I find that the default DPDT setup (400/800?) is a pretty flexible setup.

9. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
  10. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay, I ordered everything I could ever need and all wiring possibilities are mapped out... except 1.

I looked on the diagrams, the only thing it's missing is a setup for vol-vol-mid-stacked b/t with a mid select and a bypass switch (push pull 25k's).
    How would I wire it if I wanted this setup? Should I modify the vol/vol diagram or modify the bypass diagram?

And will I need to sheild this cavity now? It had EMGs in it which never hum. It still has the EMG PUs but now it will have pots instead of circuitboards. I bought shielding just in case, but will I really need it?

11. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    I have some 500K Dual pots, they are a Log Taper, not sure what Aguilar recommend.

I bought 1,000 so have plenty! (I use them on some of the Retros I produce)

I don't believe the WD Pan would work as one taper is usually the reverse of the other for a pan or blend. They normally need to be totally in step for a frequency pot. In other words, the resistance needs to be equal on both sections at all times.

Anyway I have some if you want to get hold of any.

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Linear taper is what is specified. (If they're the same, forgive me. I am only 3 pages into Lancaster's "Active Filter Cookbook.")

13. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Oh OK, Log is different to Lin and is likely to make the 'feel' of the frequency spread to be scrunched at one end for the rotation. I'll see if there's any way i might check that out.

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I think this has been the main reason why alot of guitar shops around here in the Tampa Bay/Orlando area dont like to try to install the Aguilar preamps !because it was/is truly a hassle to try to find the correct pots that you need for installation.I went thru this while doing this upgrade with my MM SR5,but I dont think I would want to go thru it again.:meh:

15. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    The dual 500k linear is really the only non-standard pot in any of the Aguilar OBP-3 wiring diagrams, and it's not necessary. Aguilar will sell you the B50k's (Bartolini uses the same pots in their preamps) and the rest of the pots are 250k audio and 250k blend, which are what you'd use in a passive setup.

16. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Not to throw a crazy wrench into the gears, but is there a way that you could wire this setup to a 5 or 6 way rotary (Varitone) or maybe a 3-way selector for the mids?

What I dreampt of when putting this pre in my bass was having the controls the same as EMG's BQC, which in this case would involve a stacked 50k lin with a 500 dual lin, which doesn't exist apparently. Or at least not for less than $100 for a custom one.

17. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    For the 50k stacked treb/bass knob that comes with the OBP-3, Warmoth sells the best option for stacked concentric knobs. Get their small concentric knobs, and for an extra $5 they will customize it to fit the ultra-small shaft of the treble pot. Mention the OBP-3 requirement when you order.

I have an extra set of 'customized' gold knobs that fit the Aguilar stacked 50k pot if someone needs them.

For the single 50k pots, I used the 1/4" dome knobs from StewMac. This is a slightly larger shaft than typical CTS pots, which are 6mm I believe.

18. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I do not like the "turn" on my aguilar pots... what can I get to fix this?

19. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    ok so i have 2 flea basses one of which already has an obp-3 installed, and another one which i plan on adding one too. In the bass that already has the obp-3 i want to modify it with a push/ pull volume know to go into passive mode and bypass the preamp. That bass has 4 pot holes. from left to right. volume, mid switch, mid freq, and stacked bass and treble. In the new flea i want to make it just like the first one is now, (no passive option) except it only has 3 holes. the way i figured. from left to right. Volume(push pull switch for mid switch), midrange, stacked bass and treble. is thos a possibility and do you know what pots i would need to make this work?

Thanks

Erin Payne

20. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It is possible. You'd need a P/P 250 or 500k audio taper pot, a 50k linear taper pot and a 50k/50k stacked linear pot. The linear pots can be bought through Aguilar for $10 or less. The other is available from allparts, wd, stewmac, etc.