Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amorosomolto, Sep 10, 2003.

1. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    hello all,
    does anybody have any experience with the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp? I have a Yamaha RBX6JM Bass and I am not too satisfied. I cant get a new bass so this one will have to do for now. I want to make some improvements on it and I am Open to suggestions. If theres another way to go then please let me know. Mike

2. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    This preamp is a good choice.

I put it in my jazz deluxe & it made a huge difference.

I'd say go for it.

3. I just bought a Ken Smith from a player in Chicago who put the OBP-3 in his Elrick 5 before he sold it and he said that it made a HUGE diff in his sound. I have an OBP-1 in my Modulus Q5 and I am planing to install the OBP-3 in order to get more eq versatility.

4. GFOS

GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    I put an OBP-3 in my Quantum 5 with EMGs and it is very cool. I went from a nice bass that I didn't like to a killer bass that I completely love.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I put one in my Warwick Thumb 5 and love it. Very fat bass boost available.

I'd recommend wiring it up for the mid freq select switch, even if you end up leaving the switch in your control cavity. You can choose 400hz or 800hz for the cut/boost mid freq.

I leave it at 800hz, as I generally always boost the 400hz range on my amp anyway. I can boost the 800hz slightly if I want more bite, or cut if for a good slap sound.

I'd also recommend http://www.bestbassgear.com, Brian there is very knowledgeable and helpful. You can even order it prewired if you want. I'm a decent solderer, but my free time is short so I ordered mine prewired.

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I installed an OBP-3 in a Lakland Skyline 55-01. Biiiiiig improvement :cool: .

7. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    I think that was what I needed to hear. I appreciate your advice. Ill be getting one soon.