Aguilar OBP-3 Problems... help please...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silky smoove, Nov 30, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm having some issues with an Aguilar OBP-3 that I purchased from

I installed this onboard preamp into my '97 Warwick Corvette, which also has the mod of some DiMarzio Model J's. Well, I ordered this thing pre-wired and tested (I was feeling lazy) and it came with everything as it should. I hooked up the pickups, checked all the connections (everything looked solid). I put the cover back on the control cavity and the "fun" began.

:help: Issue #1: The input jack seems to cut out if there is even the slightest drop of the 1/4" cable. Gravity is enough to pull it down and lose its connection. I've tried several different cables (different manufacturers) and all have yielded the same results. The only solution thus far is to make sure the cable is routed through my strap so that it fights off gravity to some degree. :confused:

:help: Issue #2: There seems to be a bit of a grounding issue going on. I'm assuming this is coming from the bass as its never happened before with any other bass, nor did it happen before the installation of the onboard preamp into the bass in question. What happens is a high occurance of electrical shock! The first time I noticed it was last night; I was jamming away on the bass and my girlfriend came in to tell me she was heading off to bed. She gives me a kiss and we both got shocked. I highly doubt that this is a result of our "electric" personalities :rolleyes: . Since then it seems that it happens quite frequently. :confused:

:help: Issue #3: When I adjust the treble control (bass and treble are stacked on a concentric pot) I get a lot of scratchy static. My first instinct was that this was simply a bad pot. I ran down to the music store and bought another concentric pot and soldered it into place, but got the exact same result. Both times I only get the static when adjusting the treble side of the stack, and not the bass side. :confused:

I've since COMPLETELY re-soldered the entire setup, and checked everything out (even went as far as to buy a multimeter to check it out). For all intents and purposes this thing should work like a million bucks, but I continue to get EXACTLY the same results. Is it possible that the actual preamp module is faulty? Any advice on other possibilities I might try? Sorry for the long read, and any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention; Aside from the issues above, the bass appears to be working fine. The preamp sounds great and the controls all work perfectly fine and are highly effective. I would just like to get those issues straightened out.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    shameless self-perpetuated bump :bag:
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    :D Dude I'm looking for a GK preamp too!!! I better be on my toes - you too - don't get snipped - hahahha

You'll get better responses in the pickups forum so I suggest moving this there.

I got a obp-3 from bestbassgear and didn't have the troubles you have but I had troubles. I had scratchy pots that cut out too but I think it was the pots. Oddly enough I sold this preamp and the buyer told me it didn't work!! He tried getting a replacement direct from aguilar. I don't know what the status is. This buyer is some kind of luthier if I recall so I'm sure he knew what he was doing. Maybe bestbassgear got a bad batch of obp-3s? Its possible.

issue #1: I'd buy a new jack and try that...

issue #2: what were you and your gf touching on the bass? Is it making any other noise?

issue #3: I don't know...this one I don't have a clue. You need the help of luknfur or DavidmWilson..
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mr Smoove,
    I've had experiences on both sides. I've had faulty aguilar preamps. I've also had a number of dealing with Brian at BBG and I've never known him to do anything but a stellar job. That doesn't mean that an error can't happen on occasion.

Issue 1: What sort of jack is this? A regular type jack or a deep/long jack? The deep/long jacks I've found to be more subsceptible to issues, in particular with excalibur cables for some reason. In these situations, the workaround you describe is a good one. The issue is much much more likely related to the jack itself than any wiring.

Issue 2: This wasn't static? I'm not saying you don't have a problem, just throwing out possibilities. Is there hum / buzz from the bass at all? Does that buzz go away when you touch strings/bridge? I have some issues in my basement, where the electricity isn't as clean as it could be and I get some buzz there that I don't get anywhere else.

Issue 3: How is this pot grounded?
  6. My experience with tech support on an OBP-3 from Aguilar was excellent. I was doing something a little bit out of the ordinary with the preamp. You might want to send them an email to start the process. The more information you can provide the more helpful they can be.
  7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    If it's a standard "short" jack, you just need to press the spring that the plug tip touches in. It's just the mechanical pressure of this spring that holds the plug in place. If it's a long jack, time to replace.

As to the scratchy treble, you either got two bad pots (it can certainly happen) or there's something else wrong. I'm not familiar with the OBP-3 so I can't help much. But be aware that it could still be a bad pot.

As to the shocks, what other occurances have their been? Is your amp usings a 3 prong plug, no 2 prong adapter, into a tested outlet? Cause the scenario you state just sounds like static.
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm reviving this old thread because I decided to install an Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp in a bass and am having the same issue as described above. Treble control adds a TON of noise and sound like the rustling of papers inside a garbage bag.