Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3 Problems (sort of)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stingray96191, Oct 28, 2002.

1. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Well i finally got around to installing my obp-3 and tonewise it is beautiful. It has a extremly clean tone, that can be alterd in so many waysm it is wonderful, it can go from a rich meaty, bass/low mid growl, to the spankyes slap to ne i could ever desire, but it has aproblem. It has very little output. e.g. this preamp was installe din amodulus flea bass. Well iplug my flea into my amp, with this preamp and i have to crank my amp to max just to compete with anything else. When i plug my stingray in at this volume, it wants to destroy thr foundation of my house. My thoughts were that maybe the pickups output is extremly low, and isn;t giving the aguilar enough signal to really magnify? im not sure. the pickup in the bass is a SD basslines custom made for the flea. Any thoughts?

i would grealty appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Erin Payne

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My first thought is that perhaps it is not wired correctly. I can't see any good preamp (and the Aguilar is DEFINITELY a good preamp) putting out an unusually low signal . . .

You might want to look inside the control cavity to see if there is a tiny gain adjustment screw on the unit itself.

3. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No, it is definatly wired correctly,. all of tone shaping controls work great. I emailed aguilar, and they suggested i replace the volume pot, with one of much less impedence, i should have it back today, i really hope that does it.

Erin

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What are you using? If you're using a MM pick up which is humbucking, I'd think you should be using a 500K pot.

5. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well i just og ti t back, and yes it is now workinga, like niino said all it needed was a new volume pot 500k, if only i had had that info this week itw ouldna't have cost me $30 to have it fixed, but its better now, and thats all that matters.

I t osunds lovely, the best sounding preamp i have ever heard, and its much more versatile than anything i have ever used before.

Erin