Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar obp-3 push a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, May 9, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Is this onboard preamp loud enough to push a poweramp properly. I was thinking about getting one and putting it into to a pedal format. Has anyone else tried this? I don't know why aguilar hasn't done this yet.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    MY OBP-3 equipped bass' output isn't as hot as the same bass
    with a Bartolini preamp so I doubt it.

They make the OBP-1-based DB 924 pedal.

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I knew about the obp-1. I wonder how hot that one is? The OBP-3 has alot of nice midrange options that look real interesting. :)

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The OBP-3 is unity gain. If your pickups produce enough voltage to theoretically drive a power amp, then the OBP-3 will be able to reproduce that voltage into the low impedance input of the power amp (because it has sufficient current capacity). However, your pickups are unlikely to be that hot. My EMGs into OBP-3 all running on 18V can drive my QSC PLX 3002 but not all the way to clipping. Bypass the OBP-3 and it gets much quieter as the EMGs can't deliver enough current into that low impedance so the voltage drops.

Alex

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks alot. That is a great response. Maybe one of the only very useful ones that I've seen. You should review gear for bassplayer magazine. They could use the help! :p Will the 924 (I think thats the model) provide extra output?

6. I had the db924 and it is a great sounding box but is not hot enough to clip a power amp unless you crank the bass and treble controls. Then you sound like Fieldy :eyebrow:

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Tried the DB924 too. It wiill work into a bridged PLX3002 turned up all the way. But it will only make 300 to 400 watts. Not enough poop on the input signal. :meh:

8. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

None of these preamps were designed to drive a power amp.
    Proper use is between your pickups and head for both the OBP's and the DB 924.

9. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    PM sent to dave

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    But if you put the OBP-3 in a small box like the DB924 with its own power supply and an adjustable XLR out I would give you $499 for it. ;)

11. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City

Well okay! Seriously, we are going to do the "OBP-3 in a box" project. It's been in the design que for sometime now. We spent a lot of energy developing the AG amps, and it took all of our brain cells as well R&D time. So....anyone who would like to chime in with features they would like to see......I guess this thread would good for it. We would appreciate the input.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in any event, with any preamp designed as an onboard bass pre, or outboard running off of batteries, you're going to eat up those batteries really quickly running them straight into a poweramp.

13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I used to have a Blue Tube 903 and a SIB Fatdrive which plugged into 110 volts. No stinking batteries to worry about. I'd would still be using them if they had an XLR out to go to the board. :meh:

14. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    That is great DAVE! Ok, here's what i'd like to see. It should have the standard bass, mid, treble and volume contols. But, there should be an active/passive input selector switch or button in case this not a unity gain device like the origional. IF it is, I guess that there is no problem. I've owned the fodera m2000 and my bass distorted the input.(very hot) The mid control should have the variable frequency knob so as to make more people happy. It would be nice to extend the mids alittle lower like you can with the origional obp-3 by changing capacitor values. It would be nice if it had a hot enough output to drive a power amp if needed but I doubt thats where you are going with this project. I personally really like a 4 band eq the best but if you are sticking with the OBP-3 design, please take my suggestions into consideration. Oh yeah, make it footswitchable with a true bypass and run off a boss style adaptor or batteries. I gaurantee you will sell a bunch. I'll buy one. I really like your gear.

15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If you make it more complicated and packed full of features it will be competing with the DB659 and the AG500SC. How about the existing OBP-3 kit with an internal power supply, a line out to go to my power amp, and an XLR out? The DB924 wasn't hot enough for the PLX3002 but it did work well with the Stewart. So the OBP-4 would need a little more boost to match up to other power amps.

The BT903 and the SIB Fatdrive are out of production and they didn't have the XLR out anyway. I had to run a separate DI. All of the other outboard preamps like the Sadowsky and Fodera 2000 run on batteries which really sucks. Unless I'm missing something, NOBODY makes a small unit with the features I have outlined above. Dave, I hope you are not just teasing us. :eyebrow:

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I thought by this morning this would have turned into a megathread like that Shroeder cab one or that very informative "Pros and Cons of Stinking Combo Amps". There are a lot of guys running those tube mic pre/DI's, stomp box EQ's, and other assorted floor units which run on batteries or wall warts. Many have tried to use these units as a stand alone preamp or signal booster. What we all need is the OBP-4. Does it all and plugs into 110 volts. For those of us who go direct, it could mean going to the gig with nothing but a bass and a small box in your pocket. :hyper:

17. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    It's certainly do-able make a OBP with a D.I. Very easy to do with a wall wart. Could be small and have a tuner output. Could handle all your "D.I. at the gig" needs.
    Once you want make the thing drive a power amp, have tubes, internal power supply and a Jensen you've got a DB 659, or one other fine tube bass pre's.

18. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    OK, if I have to, I'll take it with a wall wart. :meh:

19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Or let's see. I could plug into a DB924, then into a "Y" cable with one leg going into a Seymour Duncan signal booster and then to a power amp. The other leg could go to a wall wart powered DI and then to the PA.

When I had the DB924 I hooked the battery leads to a jack mounted on the box, which went to an 18 volt wall wart. At least that eliminated the battery problem.

So my new rig would be: THREE boxes, THREE wall warts, SIX patch cables, and a partridge in a pear tree. :meh:

Or the one simple box that all bass players are dreaming of, the fabulous new OBP-4, $499 at your local dealer.

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Ok, here's a compromise. The OBP-3, in a box, wallwart and battery powered, footswitch, xlr out. But, are you going to use a mid frequency knob or stick with the 400/800hz switch? Tuner out shouldn't matter too much. Footswitch is very important.