1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OBP-3 push/pull mid-knob operation?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StuartV, Nov 29, 2010.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I have an MPG Level 5 with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp in it. It has the stacked Treble/Bass knobs and a Push/Pull mid knob that is supposed to give me mid-frequency sweep (400Hz - 800Hz) and mid boost/cut.

Can anybody explain to me how the Mid knob is supposed to work?

I have tried to find instructions on Aguilar's website and searched the forums and not found it.

The reason I am confused is that it does this:

- Knob has a center detent whether it is pushed or pulled.
    - I start with it pushed in and centered on the detent.
    - I pull it out and it is at the center detent. I turn it fully clockwise.
    - I push it in and now, in the pushed in position, it is no longer on the center detent. It is also fully clockwise.

This doesn't seem right.

2. The push/pull switch to supposed to toggle the mid control's center frequency between 400Hz and 800Hz.

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    AHA! THANK YOU!

I was (obviously) expecting one position to let me adjust continuously variable mid frequency - and the other position to adjust boost/cut.

You're telling me one position (push or pull) chooses an 800Hz center and the other chooses 400Hz. And the rotation of the knob is boost or cut no matter what.

Got it. Thanks for lending your vision to the blind!

4. Yes.