1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OBP-3 Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fokof, Feb 26, 2008.

1. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I'm looking at the OBP-3SK/PP package in bass with an active pickup.

You guys know if that pre is low or hi-Z input?

Can it deal with an active signal ?

I need a low/mid/high on two pots setup.....

2. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Not sure, but I ran an OBP-3 and an active pickup using 18 volts and it was a very hot loud signal. Terrible tone too. I relplaced the active stock pickup with passive bart pickups and run the obp-3 with 9 volts and it sounds much much better. I attribute most of the tone improvements to better quality pickups, but some of the improvmeents has to come from the passiveness of the pickups and the drop from 18 to 9 volts.
    Just my experience, hope that helps you some.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I run the OBP-3 in my Valenti at 9v, and use Nordstrand fatstacks. I like it very very much. Mine has 3 tone pots, pan, and vol, with 3 of the pots being push/pull for coil-splits and passive mode.

4. Pikasoll

Pikasoll

Nov 23, 2007
    Norway
    i`ve got an obp-3 with nordstrand jazz noiseless. It`s great, big improvement from stock pups.

I also have an passive switch I installed myself.

5. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    -

6. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Thanx for the answer.
    I've emailed them directly for a clear answer.

In fact , I need an inboard EQ , not the preamp part , anybody knows what would fit that bill ?

Would a EMG BTC do ?

7. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have an OBP-3 in a Spector USA Bolt-on 5 string, and think it sounds great with the EMG TW pup's. It's set up vol, vol, mid, stacked bass/treble...with push/pull on the volume controls (for single/dual coil mode) and the mid control (to set a different mid shelving point).

If this helps, the EMG website says that the EMG TW pup's have an output impedance of 10 Kohms. Here is the wiring diagram and spec sheet:

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/40TW1.pdf

9. Speaking of the Aguilar onboard pre, does anyone here use the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with Bartolini soapbar pu's?

Carlo

10. Anyone???

11. if you like the sound of the bart soapbars by themselves, there is a good chance you will like them with the obp :)

12. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I had that answer from Aguilar;

"Thank you for your inquiry. The OBP-3 preamp can be used with both active and passive systems. You should not have any trouble having one installed on a bass with active pickups."

13. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Yes as I said in an earlier post in this thread. Mine are 6 string quad coil soapbars and sound fantastic.

14. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Can you explain how you had a passive mode installed? I'm thinking of pulling my obp out simply because of battery drain at church when it is plugged in for a few hours (up to 4) while only getting about 30 min actual play time. Does passive mode mean no battery drain while lead is plugged in? This might solve my problem. And out of curiosity how does it sound in passive mode? Is there any eq'ing at all?

15. IotaNet, thank you for the info. Sounds like a great combination!

Carlo

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You need a DPDT mini switch or you need to replace one of the pots with a DPDT push pull. Look on page 2 of this document:

http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp3.pdf

If you're getting 30 minutes playing time, you should unplug the bass when it's on the stand. the preamp bypass will not prevent the battery from draining. As long as a cable is in the input jack, the battery is draining.

When the preamp is bypassed, the active EQ is bypassed. All that works, depending on the bass, is the Volume, Blend or 2nd volume, if the bass has more than one p/u and passive tone, if the bass is equipped with one.

17. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Thanks to Nino for the info.

I currently unplug but because we will do a set of 3 or 4 songs then there is part of the service then we come up and do a few more songs and sit down again then come up for just one song then sit down again then do one or 2 songs at the end of the service Im getting tired of unplugging and plugging back in all the time. I think I need to go completely passive.