1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OBP-3 question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rafterman, Sep 16, 2008.

1. my bass is in the shop getting the OBP-3 installed on my OceanTB75...the person that is installing it told me that the OBP-3 is only an EQ, and not a preamp...????

She said that it would go with the bartolini mk-1 electronics in the bass...i thought the OBP-3 was a preamp...

is there something i'm missing???

thanks

2. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    OBP stands for On Board Pre-amp, that should be enough said.

Though different people will have slightly different definitions of what a pre-amp is. Some will tell you a pre-amp has to be able to drive a power amp to qualify as apre-amp, well your OBP won't do that.

I have the obp-3 on my 6 string bass, it is a very powerful eq/pre-amp/tomato/tomato.

3. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Spot on.

4. EXACTLY what i thought! I don't know why that tech said that.....

5. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

Apr 29, 2007
    Turkey
    I hope she installs that PREAMP much better than she knows it.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Depends on the PowerAmp. Any of my OBP-3's always pushed my Stewart World 1.6 PowerAmp just fine directly into it. Only really used it that way if I was testing changes to the bass strings, etc, but it would push the PowerAmp just fine.