Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3 vs Bart HR-46 pre's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eli, Jan 9, 2004.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Can anyone here offer a direct comparison of these two onboard pre's? Both offer vol, blend, mid w/freq select (both very near 250/800), and concentric treb/bass, which will fit them both perfectly into my 4-knob Conk GrooveTools. Except the Aguilar has a separate switch for the freq select, which means I'd have to drill a hole in my baby... :(

The thing I'm most interested in is tone. How do they compare?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Eli, I'm going to move this over to Pickups, where I think you'll get a better response.

BTW, did you do the Elgin show last year? I missed it - how was it?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The word used frequently to described the bart stuff (pre/pups) is 'organic'.

I prefer the bass boost on the Aguilar preamps, it's tighter and fatter. The bart bass boost is warm, but not as well 'defined' sounding as the Aggy.

They're both great preamps, although it's often said that Bart pres work best with Bart pups. Whereas the Aggy is more universal.

4. I just recently got an American Deluxe Jazz Bass with an Aggie OBP3. The mid control pulls up to toggle between the midrange frequencies.

5. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Thanks, all. My pal BillyBfromLZ pointed out that since I'd proboably only ever use the mid on 800 Hz, I could wire the Aguilar without the switch, ignoring the 400 Hz capability (I hate 400 Hz anyway). That makes the choice a little harder. But david, the comparison helps. I was leaning toward the Aggie based on the low freq band spec which is 40 Hz vs the Bart's 100 Hz -- prolly why the Ag sounds tighter.

Thanks again!

6. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    so the obp-3 has a switch?

7. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    At least the place I saw it -- www.bestbassgear.com . But a switch is a switch, and I'm sure jermyandhisbass's MIA J was built using a pot with a built-in pull switch. It was just that bestbassgear.com didn't offer it wired that way. P'haps they would if I asked 'em -- I'm sure they have access to such switches.