Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3. Which to get for my 'wick?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Hey guys. I'm thinking about changing my MEC preamp to the aguilar obp-3. I have a corvette std 5-string. It has a volume knob, pick up fader knob, and bass/treble stack. Which preamp set should I get, since I see there's a whole bunch with different wires for everything? I'm a newbie with this stuff, so take it easy on me. ;) Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's only one version of the obp-3, just as there's only one version of the obp-1 so it's not a question of which obp-3 to buy - it's more which wiring config do you want.

I have an obp-3 in my thumb5 - you can order them prewired from www.bestbassgear.com in most configs.

I have vol/vol, mid, bass/treble knobs with mid freq select switch in the cavity. I nearly always boost low mids at the amp level, so I generally have the mid freq switch set to 800hz so I can cut mids for slap.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    If you could find a stacked volume/blend pot then you wouldnt need to drill any more holes.

With the stacked vol/blend your configuration would be :

stacked volume/blend
    push/pull mid pot (down is 400hz & up is 800hz)
    stacked bass/treble

If you didnt want to use the push/pull mid pot (as it doesnt have a center detent), you could drill a small hole for the mid freq switch & just use a standard pot with a center detent.

4. Doh. I meant which wiring configuration should I get. I want to keep the stock knob setup, and not drill any holes or anything.

Do you guys think it's worth getting the mid knob added? I have a Hartke 3500 with the 10 band eq, and I don't mind messing with it for the extra (or less) mids.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you don't need mid, then you might as well get the obp-1 instead.

It's boost only, not cut/boost like on the obp-3. But you could get that wired with vol,blend,stacked b/t - unless you need eq cut, in which case get the obp-3.

Like I said, I generally boost low-mids to cut through on the amp and then cut high mids on the bass to get a good slap sound.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm putting an OBP-3 into my bass in a couple days, and my setup will be a: Volume (push-pull: preamp/bypass), Volume, Mid CutBoost/Mid Sweep, Bass/Treble.

You can get a pot (it's the last option on page six of the PDF file on Aguilar's site) to sweep the mids to any frequency between and including 400Hz and 800Hz. My setup is a 4 knob jobbie, mostly 'cause I needed a push/pull and I couldn't be bothered spending more on another stacked pot. If you stack the volume pots and just put the bypass in the control cavity, you can do it with a 3 hole setup (all stacked).

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I have an OBP-3 in my '87 Streamer - sooooo much better than the old MEC preamp. My control configuration is; vol (with push/pull mid freq switch), bass, mid, treble.

I don't pan as I have the pickups tilted to favour the low strings with the bridge pickup and the high strings with the neck pickup (which gives the most awesome thick growly sound from low E to high G).

Alex

8. Can you guys post pics? I guess I'll get the mid and mid switch added in.

Meek, do you still have the pickup fader knob?

9. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    definately give them an email. Tell them what you want it to do and they can help you determine a wiring scheme (knobs, switches, etc.) and even prewire it for you for a decent price.

10. I've got the one I want picked out.. now I want to see pictures so I know what to ask for when I get it done. Thanks. :)

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    This is just something to consider if you don't intend on playing with a mid control; get the OBP-1 with a stacked bass/treble control, then add a passive tone control. I've had the OBP-1 on a Spector, it was sweet, but it was boost only, so even if the treble was turned down all the way, it still was boosted. The end result was that I had to overboost the bass, and overtime, I just got frustrated with not being able to roll of the treble that I sold the bass. Had I had this setup with the passive tone, I would have been all right because I could have darkened up the tone without involving the bass boost. This is just a thought though. My preamp just went dead on my Stage II, so I'm now in the same boat as far as what to do except that I have a 4 knob lay out, so I actually have the luxury of being able to accomodate the mid control this time around.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure what the international shipping costs would be, plus this is too late to help you now, but www.stewmac.com have black/chrome/gold knobs in both 6mm and 1/4" sizes.

13. Are those the knobs that came with the bass? I like how it looks... well other than the stacked knob missing the top. :p :D