Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3 wiring for 3 knob Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BrotherShamus, May 12, 2005.

1. BrotherShamus

BrotherShamus

May 12, 2005
    I'm trying to find some info/advice on installing an Aguilar OBP-3 into a custom Warmoth Jazz w/ a traditional 3 knob control plate. I'm really not wanting to modify the guitar body at all, so just one 9 volt will have to suffice. Any combo of concentric pots/switches (e.g. j-retro style) is cool, provided they all fit on the control plate. Oh, and the preamp should drive both pickups (Nordstrand NJ4SE's).

My main concern is how it will affect "passive" operation. Will the volume/tone pots function normally or at all? I know the j-retro has some limitations there, which is why I'm leaning toward the aggie.

I've tried to contact bestbassgear.com and Aguilar on this, but no response yet.

Thanks!

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I'm sure others will chime in with more experience, but I don't think it's all gonna fit. An Aguilar OBP-3 has V-Blend-B-T-M. Add passive tone control and you've got a bare minimum of 6 knobs, plus active/passive switch and mid selector switch. It's gonna be too tight in that cavity IMO. Granted, you can concievably go J-retro style w/ all stacked pots, but that still leaves the switches and the battery. I don't know if they make the stacked pots you need with a push pull switch on them. :eyebrow:

The Retro is manufactured specifically to fit in the J cavity, while the Aggie is more adaptable. IUf you do fit it all in, it's gonna be TIGHT. A battery box would clear a little room, but I still think that is pushing it. Maybe it can be done. But I know I wouldn't want to.

As far as the passive operation, the Aggie is an excellent choice for this. If you go V-V as opposed to V-Blend it will definitely work great.

3. obp3 wiring diagrams Here's the wiring options for the obp3. If you want a 3 pot install you'll have to get stacked pots. Vol/blend, bass/treble, mid (or mid/mid freq sweep). The tone controls are 50k linear pots, you need a ganged 2 way 500k linear pot for the mid sweep portion, so to get a stacked mid gain/freq pot you need a 3 way (dual 500k+1 50k all linear) pot. Not real common, custom pots may be the way to go on that. One knob turns both 500k portions, and the other stacked knob turns the 50k linear. Its a 3 way pot with 2 ganged together, 1 independent.

If you can't get them from Aguilar, try potentiometer.com custom pots or maybe mouser.com

I was thinking about hotrodding my Pedulla Rapture fretless with the obp-3, spent some time researching it. Havent pulled the trigger yet.

The aggie tone control pots are connected to the electronics, if there was a bypass switch, they'd be deactivated, you'd need a seperate tone control for passive mode. But that's no problem, cause there's no wiring option listed for a bypass switch. You could wire up your own, but you'd still need extra pots for the passive tone controls. And know how to modify the circuit to add the bypass and the passive tone controls. Good luck.

Randy

4. BrotherShamus

BrotherShamus

May 12, 2005
    Thanks for your help, guys. I knew this was a tall order. I did see the guy at subsonicfamily.com cram one into a Fender Deluxe, but those pots were massive and it looks like he needed to do some routing.

I'm really just looking for a good preamp that still allows for passive tone control. I don't want to color the sound of the Nordstrands for recording purposes, since they rock. It's just mainly for live play. Aside from a stomp box, a 2 band might work just fine. Any other suggestions / brands?

Thanks,

Brett

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Sadowsky w/VTC. I use it with the same Nordstrands you have, and it works wonderfully. However, you will need to route to make it fit as well.... :(

6. BrotherShamus

BrotherShamus

May 12, 2005
    The folks at Aguilar are recommending the outboard version. I'll check out the Sadowsky VTC as well. Thanks!

Warming up the router...

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm in the same boat with a fretless Conklin. I've got Barts with an EMG boost only pre, the PA-1. But it does have the passive option. It's only 3 knobs and I don't want to poke any new holes. I may be stuck with the a 2 band which would be the Aggie OPB-1 or the Sadowsky which really isn't that bad of an option. And I don't mind a ganged vol-vol at all.

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Just another prod for the John East J-Retro Deluxe, which is a no-mod install in a stock J bass cavity (including the battery!) and has passive tone in addition to the active bass, treble and sweepable mid control.