Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar obp-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by F*#$NA4, Aug 3, 2003.

1. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    So the electronics on my Warwick FNA 4 are done. I want to buy the Aguilar obp-3 and was wondering how hard it is to install. Does it comes with pots, how many. So the obp-3 has a bass, mid, and treble, while the obp-1 only has bass and treble?
    Do they have good instructions.

HELP, THANKS,
    TOM 630.886.1760

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There are more differences than that.
    The OBP-1 has boost only operations for bass/treble.
    OBP-3 has cut/boost for bass/mid/treble, and can be wired with a switch to select between 400/800 for mid frequency.

You can buy the OBP-3 in two configurations these days. First comes with either three single 25K pots, Second comes with one 25K pot plus a concentric stacked 25K pot. I'd imagine you'd want the second one, as you'll also need your blend and master volume pots.

As for installation, it's relatively simple and it comes with a good wiring diagrams for several configurations.

3. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Thanks much for the info,

Well, the FNA 4 I have has 4 pots, one: vol, treb, mid, and bass. So I want to retain all the pots in a working order, so none of them are blank. I noticed in an online diagram,

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Gecko/images/obp1withvolumepot.gif

that there is only one wire coming from the pickup, my Standard MEC pickup has 2 wires coming from it. I am good with electrons, soldering and what, I just want to get this down before a big show on friday.

OH, and if I order from musicians friend, or otherwise how do I know, or specify which setup to get.

THANK AGAIN

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the diagram only shows one wire from the pickup as it's showing the wire it's interested in - the hot signal. Your other wire (cold) will go to ground - wherever the pickup ground is currently wired to. All bass pickups will have at least two wires (hot/cold), sometimes more for battery power for active pickups and also for wiring series/parallel combinations.

With the obp preamps, you'll keep your existing volume pot, and the preamp will fit after the volume pot in the signal chain.

You can't specify which one you get from Musicians Friend, so you either buy it from them and then buy the concentric pot from Aguilar direct or you could buy the obp-3 from somewhere else bestbassgear.com and let them know you want the concentric knob version.

5. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Do you know if I can do a basic: vol. pot, treb. pot, mid pot, and bass pot setup with this preamp. And it may come with 3 pot, and you use the original vol. pot.

Also, can you use, say, one of the original treb/mid/bass pots as a volume pot?

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    based on what you say your bass setup is, you actually want the first one with separate bass/mid/treble controls. If you order from Musicians Fiend, that's the one you'll get. You can then use your original volume pot.

As for using your existing bass/mid/treb pots, it depends on what impedance pots they are. The Aguilar uses 50K pots for tone controls, I think the MEC preamps use 100K pots.

7. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    thanks a lot, for the help