Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-3SK On-Board FET Preamplifier Kit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by volumefiend, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Has anyone wired up one of these? I am thinking of ditching my MEC electronics/pickups in search of a more befitting sound.

Questions: What are the characteristics?

What are your wiring configurations? Do you have the amp itself config'd to mini-toggle or dip switch?

What pickups go well with this? I was thinking for my thumb 4 b/o, perhaps Nordstrand? Seymour Duncan basslines? Barts?

Any help would be great.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The main characteristics of the Aguilar are, to my ears:

1) Fat bass boost
    2) Transparency with eq flat

I've wired up a bunch of them, in single and dual pickup configurations, with / without mid switch etc.

I'd say any good pickup will go well with this, as it's transparency will let the flat sound through and the eq will help flavor to taste.

I had an aguilar obp-3 in my thumb 5 n/t, after much time trying out different pups/preamps I settled on the aguilar plus emg pups. The aguilar was wired vol/vol, mid, bass/treble.