Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP3: Active/passive switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by weeks82, Apr 19, 2004.

1. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    Hi all,

Im putting a OBP3 in a Stingray. I have volume w/ push-pull switch and a separate mid selector switch. I was wondering if it possible to use the push/pull vol. control as an active/ passive switch. Thanks for any help.

-Brian

2. Yes, it's possible, though I couldn't tell you exactly how to wire it.

Mike

3. Diek

Diek

May 25, 2003
    A push pull pot is a DPDT switch, which is the kind you need for the active/passive switch. The switch on the push pull pot is completely independent from whatever the pot controls, so you can use it for anything, including an preamp bypass.

4. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    thanks for the help guys. Can anyone tell me how to wire this? Thanks

-Brian

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  6. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    Jeez,

I've been looking at those diagrams the whole time and missed the active/passive switch diagram! Thanks a ton!

-Brian

7. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    Hi,

I was wondering how you know which way is top and bottom on both the mid select and bypass switches or if it matters what is top and what is bottom.

-Brian

8. Shouldn't matter, it'll just affect whether up or down selects what frequency. There's actually a whole mess of stuff you can do with those four wires other than just the switch, I didn't know till I got mine and I did a little digging, check the last page of the diagrams. The only one I'm really interested in is #8, so you have a mid sweep.

Josh D

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you're doing it as a regular switch, just do as shown on the diagram as it doesn't matter.

If you're installing as a push/pull switch, then it's important as you probably want 'active' to be down and 'passive' to be pull up.

In that case, you would effectively turn the diagram upside down.

Looking at the pot with dpdt from the front, pot on top, and the lugs numbered from 1 at top left, 2 top right down to 6 bottom right this is how you'd wire it.

1 to ground
    2 joined to 5
    3 blue (input) of obp-3
    4 to jack
    5 input from blend/mv, join to 2
    6 green (output) of obp-3

10. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    Thanks to all who responded! I finished up the wiring today and I have to say the Aguilar is a 1000% improvement over the stock preamp. Time to go play now...

11. Can someone post that wiring diagram? i get a 404 with that link