Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP3 in a Stingray ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by weeks82, Mar 24, 2004.

1. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    Hi all,

I want to replace the preamp in my Stingray. I was thinking about the Aguilar OBP3. After looking at the diagrams on the Aguilar site, they don't have one for a single pickup bass. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to achieve this. My bass currently has volume, high, mid, and low controls. A push/pull bybass the preamp on the volume pot would be nice, but not neccessary.

Are there other preamps that are worth considering ?

Thanks for any and all help

-Brian

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I think the Aguilar OBP3 would sound great in the Stingray. I just installed it in a G&L with very good results. Just use the Aguilar Wiring Diagram with 2-volumes and delete one of the Vol pots (the outputs are in parallel). Everything else would connect the same.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I did this with my SR5 that I use to own and I also change the stock pup and went with a Bartolini MMC5 pup and this kind of tighten up the sound somewhat.I later switch back to the stock pup and it wasn't to bad,however it made the bass sound brighter than it was with the stock preamp which I didn't really care for either so I sold the bass because it wasn't ever going to ever have the sound/voice that i was looking for but don't let this be a determent to you.The best thing that you can do is give Aguilar a call and ask for Scott who was a real big help to me when I doing this modification.
    Good Luck. :)

4. with the bartolinis MMC5, it has like 4 or 6 wired coming off it right? Is it bassically like the tobias growler pickup where it's more or less 2 pickups in 1? or is it just a fatty pickup with way too many wires?!?! Reason I ask is cause I was thinking of putting a MMC5 on my neck with a standard bart J on the bridge...... but if MMC5 is "two pickups" then i'd have to either add another blend pot or do something else in the realm of "deleted!" (no offence to anyone ever)....

:smug:

Edited by moderator: There is no use for such language here!! Clean it up!

5. No offense to anyone ever?! What is the matter with you man? That phrase is NOT acceptable... where are the moderators????

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not sure if you know about this but when there is an offensive post or any post that breaks forum rules, you should click on the little [​IMG] icon at the bottom of the offending post.

It alerts the moderators of the problematic posts and ask you to explain what the issue is. I already alerted them of this one since it sounded like you were looking to alert the mods.

Peace
    Nick

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree!

I deleted to aformentioned sentence.

As Nick Man said, if you find anything offensive here than please use the report post to moderator button. It is a great help for me.

Over and out.