Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP3 review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by camoe, Nov 19, 2002.

1. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I installed the Aggie OBP3 in my Modulus Q5 (Bart pups) last Friday and just wanted post my initial impressions. First off, installation was easy thanks to the well written schematics from Aguilar. I didn't install the the passive/active switch or the mid range freq selector switch as of yet (I use the DB680 for most eqs). I set the midrange to 400 Hz (it's selectable to either 400 or 800 Hz.)

I did have to change the vol pot to a 250 K ohm value but doing so wasn't a problem as there was plenty of room in the control cavity due to the small size of the Aguilar preamp compared to the 3 band Bart.

Right after I plugged her in I could immediately hear a difference in tone. Although the Aguilar can be described as warm, like the Bart 3 band, it is alot more transparent. It's tone is warm, fat, and round but not muddy or dark. It also has a more meaty old school sound to it as well. The part I was most impressed with was the tone controls. The midrange control threw alot more bark into the tone than the Bart pre, and the treble control works like an old passive tone control (nice round shelving of the treble). The website mentioned this feature and I first thought it to be marketing hype, but damn if it dosen't sound like a passive control when rolled down.

Overall, the OBP3 is less "hi-fi" and neutral than the Bart, but has more character and meat to the tone. The tone controls are very nice and if you dig the "Aguilar tone" this may be just the right upgrade for not much money. (paid $120). Wow did that just sound like an infomercial or what?

Peace

2. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    "are you running it 9v or 18v?"

I wired it for 18v. You can never have too much power ...;-)

Peace