1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OBP3 to Nordstrand DC5 wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JazyD, Mar 19, 2010.

1. JazyD

JazyD

Oct 26, 2004
    I'm having problems with the wiring of these two components. I'm getting a popping noise when I use the midrange switch, and humm in the bypass mode. Can I get a wiring diagram for this to make sure i'm wiring properly? Thanx in advance.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm not really experienced with the DC5, but am with the OBP-3. There's a lot of wires there, but it is pretty straightforward and the diagrams that come with the preamp are very good.

1) Popping with the midrange switch: Did you add the optional 1Meg resistors shown in the diagram? I used these with mine and get no popping whatsoever.
    2) Humm in bypass mode: Usually, an OBP-3 is connected right before the output of an otherwise passive system. So you have passive volume-volume, or passive volume-blend, and maybe a passive tone control. In passive mode, this goes straight to the output jack. Did you do the normal things to make a passive bass quiet? Like shielding the pickup and control cavities and making sure they are connected to the ground? Did you ground the cases of your pots to each other?

Also, you can make sure you are switching to passive mode properly by testing it without a battery.

3. JazyD

JazyD

Oct 26, 2004
    1) When I bought the pre-amp, I had it pre wired to the pots from Best Bass Gear. I'll have to check on the 1meg resistor.

2) Its wired volume-blend with no pasive tone. The electronics cavity is shielded, but not the pickup cavity. Should it be? The only pots that are grounded together are the Vol. and Blend. Should they all be grounded together?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020