Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP3 vs Sadowsky OBP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by godoze, Nov 23, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have heard the OPB3. Can someone with the OBP sadowsky let me know what they think of it ? For instance, At detent, aremany tonal variations available within small movements of the knobs or do they require groos adjustment ?

The reason I ask this is that the OBP on my bass is quite sensitive to adjustment and provides a seemingly never ending array of tonal possibilites.

Trying to decide which preamp to go in my new bass. Please also let me know what pickups you are using withthe preamp.

2. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I have just had a Sadowsky preamp installed in my Warwick Dolphin 5 string. All I can say is this preamp is amazing. The obp 3 is both cut and boost while the Sadowsky is boost only. I needed more low end punch, and this preamp solved the problem. I had it installed at Rogers shop in New York. If you are unsure I would suggest you get your hands on one of his outboard preamps, and defeat your current electronics to hear only the Sadowsky. That is what I did, and that let me know the Sadowsky was the right fit.

3. I'm replacing the OBP 3 in my Moon JB 5 with the OBP 1.
    I recently replaced the existing UltraJazz pickups with Basslines and now it seems like the bass is all sizzle.The OBP 3 treble is centered at 6.5 k and the OBP 1 at 4 k,like the Sadowsky.Since I already have a bass with the Sadowsky I'm hoping that making the change to the OBP 1 will improve the sound of the Moon.I might still go back to the Ultras too.I like the Marcus sound and want to duplicate the sound of the 74 Jazz (w/Sadowsky)that I have with my Moon Bass.
    I did not like the OBP 3 at all.The mids are not anything that I can use and again, the treble is too thin.