Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Onboard Pre-amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever put an OBP-1 or OBP-3 on a passive bass? What impact did it have on your sound? Any recommendations or problems? Thanks.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yep. I've got an OBP1 that's been in and out of my 'tester' bass for about a year. I like it. Quite clean and clear and sounds like a few of the simple FET discrete preamps I've built and generally better than opamp based units. Like all preamps, they'll isolate from the filter effect of the tone control, cable capacitance and preamp input impedance in a passive and so will change the sound to some extent, but whether that's a plus, minus or indifferent effect is up to your ears. Question is, do you want cut and boost or boost only? I don't use tone controls onboard much now.

3. I'm mainly hoping to get a bit more "zing" out of the treble in my bass. The bass has a moses neck and is pretty bottom heavy in it's sound naturally. Ideally, a boosted treble and better clarity and warmth is my goal.
    I can't decide if it is due to my jazz bridge pickup lacking output or the fact that I have a Bartolini MM pickup at the neck position overpowering my treble requirements. My only other option would be to put in something like a Seymour Duncan Basslines bridge pickup for a bit more aggression. I'm unsure if that is a better option.
    I love the basic sound and feel of the bass so I'm hoping to tinker towards perfection. :D

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ...what Dharma said... I don't have the technical expertise to understand all of it but the parts I do get parallel my experience. :D

I put an OBP-1 in MIM Fender with Noiseless J p'ups. The OBP-1 is a boost only, 2 band. I avoid too much treble, so I rarely give it more than 25 or 30% boost on the treble. We all seem to have a different interpretation of words like "zing", but the clarity of the OBP-1 coupled with the ability to get *a lot* of treble (bass too!) boost if you want it should make your passive bass pretty "zingey".

I like the OBP-1 a lot. In fact, I like it so much I put one in my main bass as well.

5. It sounds like the OPB-1 might be the answer for me. Thanks for your help and for trying to understand my weird "zing' terminology. Don't even get me started on what I call my "Barry White" tone. :D

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I think the OBP-1 is 18v, which means you need two batteries. The OBP-1's treble is can get a little high on the sizzle if over used. The bass boost is really thick. You might want to check into a demeter.

I like the ag I have the 924 and a OBP-3 but based on what you're saying I would check the demeter

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Or a fishman inline voltage doubler clip

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I have an OBP-1 in a Matt Pulcinella 5 string with Dimarzio UltraJazz pickups. Sounds fantastic. With the passive bypass, it sounds the same as with the controls flat. Usually, I just use a touch of bass boost. With stainless steel strings, there's plenty of high end. I actually ended up adding a passive tone control for times that I want a more mellow sound. Oh, and it just uses a single 9V, no problem with the sound at all.

Also have another MPG with a wenge neck and bart pickups. It came with a bart preamp, but I didn't find that I was getting much variety of sound with the bart preamp. So, I swapped out the preamp and put in an OBP-3. Just got it back today and I like it a lot. The bass boost can really boost the bottom, so I barely touch that. I use the treble as you would a passive treble cut, but it mostly stays flat. The mid control is set with a push/pull selector to allow the choice of 400/800 Hz. Depending on whether I'm using the neck or bridge pickup, the cut and boost in these frequencies gives a lot of variety in tones. Also, just like the OBP-1, when you engage the passive bypass, the tone is unchanged from the preamp with the controls set flat.

I'm a fan of both preamps. Aguilar rules!