Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar onboard preamp

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 18, 2000.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anybody have any experience with this preamp?

I was thinking of replacing the pickups and preamp in my Ibanez SR506, but a local tech at a wonderful place pierce(thanks, dude!:D) told me about informed me that the ADX5 and ADX6 pickups are actually not that bad, it is the cheesy Ibanez preamp that makes them sound weak.

So, he said that he can install this preamp for $150.00, and that after he does that I will probably love the way the bass sounds.

I don't know the model number, it has my choice of Volume/Volume or Volume/Blend knobs, and boost only bass and treble knobs.

Suggestions or comments, anybody?

2. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Electronics can and will totally change the sound of your bass. If you trust your tech, go for it. Most of us have wasted more than $150 trying to improve our sound.

Mark

3. Embellisher, that sounds a little high for just the installation of the preamp. The Aguilars I've seen are self contained units and don't require a bunch of work to install. At a decent rate of $50/hr for shop work, that means it would take him 3 hours to install!!?? It just doesn't sound right. If the price includes the preamp, that sounds like a decent deal to me.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry about that, I guess I wasn't clear enough. :oops:

The price, including preamp and installation, is $150, could be as much as $175 if the control cavity needs to be enlarged.

Anybody out there have any experience with this preamp?

I know Aguilar's rep for tube amps, tube preamps and cabinets, but don't know anything about this onboard preamp.