1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

aguilar op-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by turkish, Dec 29, 2002.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i bought a bass body on ebay that came with dimarzio's and an OP-1 preamp and i don't know why but it's really noisey and i anc't seem to dial in the rihgt tone, i'm trying to get something warm and jazzy, and ideas, coments?

2. the OBP-1 is a boost only pre. its also synonmous with hiss and noise. I put one in my 78pbass only to take it out a month later. it was just not right, the bottom came in at the wrong point and the treble was useless. i hear that they corrected the freq points and "Q"s on the new obp-3, as well as made it a boost/cut design.

Ive heard the OBP-1 come stock in some great sounding basses. I think that with a tamer pup, it reacts more fluidly. But as a retrofit to a passive bass, it seems to me a bad idea.

the only "fix" to the tonal issue Ive seen is to make the passive tone at the output of the OBP-1, it helps to broaden the and "spread" the attenuation to useable levels.

YMMV.