aguilar op3 with an olp bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stoneroses, May 11, 2004.

1. stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    could not fully understand what the guitar mod guy was trying to explain to me on the phone,so here i am seeking help.

i enquired about whether the op3 can fit onto the cavity of the olp.
    nope,the guy said,the cavity's too small,any modifications to the cavity can result in serious disfiguration of the guitar.

next i asked if 3 knobs would be sufficient for the treble ,mid, bass and volume controls.
    no again was his response.4 are required he claimed.1 for volume and another 3 for the treble,mid and bass.
    I then curiously asked about the possiblity of using a push pull knob to make up for the lack of one extra knob.nope,not enough he said.I did the maths and what he said does not make sense.
    can someone help me?

my guitar isn't an olp,its a stingray clone that has only two knobs.I could drill one more knob in,if 3 knobs are enough.
    plus,because my bass has no cavity at the back,unlike the small one that olp is already 'condemned' with,does this mean that there is a lot of potential for modding.can anyone advise?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I'd say he's right about the cavity size - there'd have to be some routing done.

Re: the knobs. You could use a stacked concentric 50k pot to control bass and treble, I've used this three knob setup myself in a modulus flea bass which only has three pot holes.

If you want mids, you're going to have to drill another hole in.

It's hard to advise more when I don't know exactly how big the cavity on your bass is. But why not look into the seymour duncan MM replacement preamp? It's got a smaller footprint than the aguilar.

edit: aah, i just saw your other thread on the same subject