Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar or Alembic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, May 14, 2004.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Ok, so I'm torn between two preamps. I really like the Aguilar DB-680 and then again I also like the Alembic F2-B.

Right now my main bass is a Fender American Jazz with a nickel nut and Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. I also play a custom 5-string with a Music Man style pickup.

My cabinets are Acmes and my power amp is a Stewart World 2.1.

Here is an example of the music I play <a href="http://csunix1.lvc.edu/~mflury/Fivestar%20Mortal.mp3">Click Here!</a>

I had to cut the quality down for all you people who might have dial-up out there, but it's probably the best representation. I'd like to sorta retain this tone but ameliorate it if I could.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    IMO with Acme cabs you need to make sure you can bring out the midrange of your basses.

The Ag 680 should do a very good job of that.

Joker (jokerjkny) has used this combination before; you might want to PM him and get his input.

3. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    ::bump:: Anyone else have any opinions?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    they're both great preamps. The Alembics have my favourite flat sound, but overall I prefer the Aguilar for it's fat bass and tone shaping.

If you're going to get the Alembic, I'd suggest getting some parametric eq rack unit to go with it as the passive tone circuitry isn't like a standard eq - you can only cut the mids, for example.