Aguilar or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dwjazz54, Jun 12, 2003.

1. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I was brainstorming for my idea of the perfect rig for me, and I came to these three conclusions:

1.) Aguilar DB750, two 4x10s.
    2.) Aguilar DB750, 4x10 and 2x12.
    3.) Ampeg SVT 4-PRO, two BXT410s.

I would be going for a deep sound that still cuts through and has enough high end for occasional-and-not-too-bright slapping and 6-string solos.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    A DB750 and 2 410s sounds awefully good. It gets my vote. The DB750 is a beast.
  3. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    uh,,,,,,no contest. DB 750 and GS 410's are pretty amazing. Especially for the kind of playing you describe. Powerful but very musical.
  4. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've got the DB750, a GS410 and GS210 and let me tell you, thats a LOT of sound! I say go for the 10's! Do yourself a favor and get a handtruck or dollie cause the 750 is HEAVY!
  5. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Thanks so far, it seems that Aggies are beating the hell out of Ampeg at the moment.
    Does anyone want to rescue the Ampeg setup, or is my original question sufficiently answered?
    Thanks again.
  6. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have never played Aguilar cabs/amps, but I can say the Ampeg system you want will really rock.I played the BXT 410 a couple of times and it is a great cab. I own a SVT IV and I would not trade it for anything. The options for setup on this amp are endless and of course it has that"AMPEG" sound that I personally love.
  7. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    and the Ampeg cabinet. I auditioned all the Aguilar cabs at my local music store and was not impressed. It should be noted that I wasn't using an Aguilar head to power the cabs. There was a sort of nasal sound to all the cabs. I tried the Ampeg BXT-410 and was floored. All the famous Ampeg bottom, with no harshness (even with the tweeter on) and great coherence and pitch definition. Maybe the Aguilar heads and cabs sound great together. If you have the chance, try the BXT-410 with the SVT and the Aguilar heads. You might be surprised!!
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    SVT-IVPRO & 2 SVT-410HLF cabs.
  9. It depends on whether you're a good guy or a bad guy.
  10. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Which to make me the "good guy", then?
  11. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Wait, wait, I'm stupid, KingOfAmps. I read your profile, and it looks like Ampeg for you. However, those with a contradictory opinion to yours seem to be greater in number.

But, of course, all discussion on the topic is welcome (seriously).
  12. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I was wondering something along the same lines...

I play mostly hard rock and metal with a 5 string, so I need real powerful punch-to-the-gut low end, but I want to be able to get a nice clear tone on occasion for slapping, etc.

I don't know whether I should save up for...

1) Two Aguilar GS212s
    2) Two Aguilar GS410s
    3) One Aguilar GS410 & one GS212

...or something different altogether? Anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning more towards #3.

Whichever setup I choose, I'll most likely be using it with an Aggie DB659 and a QSC PLX2402 in stereo.

btw sorry for hijacking your thread :)
  13. I read yours too: Fender Jazz V, Cort Artisan B4 fretless, old plywood upright, Gallien-Krueger 400RB combo .

A setup like that would easily confuse most people...but not me. You see, obviously you have some gear that steers you towards good and some towards bad. However, (shhhh) the "old upright" stands out like a sore thumb making you a bad guy. Yep, deep down you're bad but your trying to keep it under wraps. I know your type.

Have you ever heard a bowed bass thru an SVT? OH MY G*D!

Quit fighting the feelin'. Come all the way over to the Dask Side.

Better go Ampeg. :bassist:
  14. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Now, what is bad about my profile??? Is it the Fender? Yes, I will admit, it's Mexican (I'm sorry, I'm sorry), but I will be dropping a J-Retro and Ultra Jazz pups later this summer.

And no, I haven't heard a bowed upright through an SVT. But I am rarely bowing any Berlioz or Mussorgsky pieces at jazz/funk gigs (though we do quote some classical bits, including a funk/hip-hoppy version of Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from Peer Gynt).

Continue the responses!!! (I am surprised that only one person has mentioned the 4x10/2x12 setup. Would the two Aggie cabs not compliment eachother????)
  15. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Oh, and the "old upright" is an early 1900s German (I think) flatback. I got it from my high school dirt cheap because it's not a particularly great instrument.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    for the both of you ;),

if you want lots of punch, an all 4x10 setup would be killer.
  17. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i'm hesitating between the DB750 and an all tube amp like the mesa boogie bass 400+ or the SVT-CL from ampeg or even the Marshall VBA400 (very good also). Can someone give me his advice between the DB750 hybrid and the others all tube. What are the pros and the cons. THANKS guys !:bassist:
  18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm not that farmiliar with the Aguilar cabs, but what about a GS 410 and 2 GS 1x12's? Would that be a fine setup? That way, if you didn't need a 4x10 for a show, you could grab 1 (or 2) of the 112's.

Good Luck.
  19. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    the 2 4x10's seem really good. tasty....