Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar or Bartolini preamp on Yamaha

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PKLehner, Apr 18, 2005.

1. PKLehner

PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hey guys, I have a Yamaha BBN 4 string fretless, with a beautiful sound, but not very much sound diversity, (there is no mid treble, its just full treble, or none) so I'm thinking about putting in either an Aguilar OBP-3 or Bartolini NTMB to get some sound diversity. My question is would you recommend either one of these two preamps for this application, and what pickups if any should I get? Do I even need to replace the pickups since they're passive now?

2. I had a TRB-5II that played well but had a weak preamp(hissy highs, not a lot of versatility). I think this is a common complaint w/Yamahas- at least older ones. I now have a Stambaugh 6 w/Aguilar OBP-3(3-band cut-or-boost eq)& a fretless Spector Rebop 5 w/OBP-1(2-band boost-only). I like them both, but very much prefer the 3-band version. I find adjusting my mids can really make a difference in cutting through a dense mix. I've played w/a few Bartolini setups, & don't care for them- can't really put my finger on it, I just like Aggie's tone much better.
    I don't think you have to replace your pickups; hopefully an expert will chime in. Have you tried a search?

3. I'm looking to do the same thing with my BBN5A. I'd like to install the Aguilar OBP-3, but wasn't certain if the PUPs would need to be changed as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LR

4. PKLehner

PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I was thinking about getting the OBP and installing it with my stock pups, and if I don't like the sound getting a set of the Dimarzio Model J pup's from everyone I've talked to those sound like the kind of pup's I'd like.

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    AGUILAR!!! I have one in my yamaha and it's a sweet pre. I have it paired with a set of Lane Poors in a six string neckthrough. You can coax just about anything you want from it. And as far as the aggie/dimarzio combo goes, I'll let you know as soon as I put together the jazz I'm spec'ing out ;)

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I put Bartolini pups and pre in my BB605. It was a nice bass - $350 new. I added $300 worth of Barts and now I like it every bit as much as my old Modulus or Lakland.

I play it for most of my gigs and love it - as does everyone else.

7. PKLehner

PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Well it seems to me that they may be about the same, but Aguilar seems more popular. So I ordered MY OBP-3 last night. Really looking forward to slapping it in there and seeing how it comes out.

Quick question for some of you aguilar guys, do you run your's with one 9v or 2? I know that running it with two gives you an extra 6db of headroom, so I might do it for just that reason. But then again I'm going to have to go out and get a lot of 9v batteries, and it'd be a lot simpler dealing with one battery then 2.

8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I use mine with one 9V battery. No problems whatsoever.