Aguilar or demeter preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jure the second, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Hi folks.

I'm intrested in purchasing a bass preamp. Serious options are the Aguilar DB659 and Demeter HBP-1. Could anyone tell me the difference between them? Any other suggestion?

Thank you.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not both? :D

i own the flipside to what you're diggin': the parametric capable Aguilar DB680 and the gorgeous, "one sound" Demeter VTBP-201s.

i've used several DB659's, and tho they've got a great vintage ampeg on hifi steriods tone, its not as versatile as i'd like. the EQ controls only do so much. Similar scheme to my VTBP. i'm in love with its audiophile hifi sound, but for certain "dense" bands, the EQ isnt versatile enough. more my trio jazz pre.

but i've heard great thigns about the HBP-1. (rev.) Gard uses one and he seems pretty happy with his. audiophile like hifiness that's incredibly versatile and has all tweakin' you'd need. Tho the first EQ stage runs on a 12AX7, the second stage, parametric EQ is SS, but most say its pretty hard to tell the diff.

similar to my DB680. but the parametric is all tube, and very juicy. my kickbutt, do-all pre for those tricky sounding gigs/rooms. but, of course, its twice as much.

i would have been just as happy with only the DB680, but i cant get enough of the VTBP-201s. its my sound.