Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar or Euphonic Audio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Charlie Quatro, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Looking for a serious amp head. Considering the iAmp-600 by EA. I found one dealer that claims the Aguilar DB359 at 200 watts will stand up to any solid state unit rated at 1000+.

Can this be true?

--Charlie

2. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I can tell you that you that a tube amp with the same wattage as a solid state is going to sound much louder. There is a reason for this and someone like PsychoBassGuy could tell you why, although I haven't seen him post here for awhile. Bottom line, the Aguilar at 200w is probably going to be more then enough volume.

If your willing to spend the type of money it takes to purchase an Aguilar or EA your going to sound great, at least tone wise, the rest is in your fingers. It really comes down to what sounds best to you.:)

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't tried the Aguilar but have tried the EA iamp. Have you tried 'em both, WITH your main bass? What are your thoughts?

My thoughts about EA is that it's crystal-clear stuff, seemingly as transparent a sound as I've heard. But, I thought it lacked a certain amount of warmth...Some have told me that Aguilar takes it one step further, that Aguilar doesn't lack the warmth that EA does.

The issue, however, is not what I've heard from others, but what you've heard from these two amps. You have to give both a try, because only you know what sound you're looking for.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The EA is pretty neutral but I think the Eden WT400 gives you the best of both worlds--plenty of tubey "bloom" and solid state power and portability. The amp weights 15 pounds, too, an excellent consideration for someone who lugs it around to a lot of gigs like me. Although I enjoy my '70 SVT for the ultimate in tube tone and power, the Eden is the best sounding day-in, day-out amp for the money, IMO.

5. Thanks boogie and others.

I am considering the Eden stuff as well.

One of the problems I'm facing is that many of these "high end" amps are not available locally for me to test drive, especially the EU stuff.

In fact, I bought a Stingray 5 yesterday sight unseen (new). It was the only way I could get the one I want.
    I will probably do the same to get a fretless.

I've been out of music, except for recording in my home studio, for a couple of years due to my ex-wife's jealous nature. Notice I said "ex". Never give up your live playing for a spouse or anyone else.
    If they can't accept that part of you it'll never work anyway.
    OK enogh of that story.

My last amp was an SWR SM-400 driving an SWR 18" and a 2-10".
    Many of these newer manufactures, and even users are claiming they get great sound and volume from a single 2-10' cab.

Again I ask, is this possible.
    From my experience you need to move a lot of air to get that sound that just kind of punches you in the back of your rib cage.
    To do that you need the surface area of more or bigger speakers.

Euphonic Audio has 2-10 (with mid-range, tweeter)
    that they claim produces a HUGE sound. Some users are even claiming this. They even say it about their 2-8" cabinets.

I've noticed the voice coils in the speakers are much larger than most.
    Does that allow them to move more air?

Are new designs that much more superior or are manufacturer's claims just getting more outrageous.

Bottom line is, I don't mind spending the money if I know I'm getting the best I can for it.
    As others have said, and I agree, the real tone originates from your fingers.

I don't need to drive a Ferarri to know it's fast, that's if I know how to properly drive it.

Thanks for the advice.

--c

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, what they say about EA is TRUE...to an extent. My experience with EA cabs is that they have a very transparent sound, which many people love. And, they ARE capable of reproducing the lowest of frequencies without a lot of cabinet mass. But, there are a few tradeoffs...First of all, what you gain in frequency response in the EA, you lose in efficiency (IME). It'll take a more powerful amp to get the same volume through an EA, but other cabinets may not sound as full without having to get a much larger setup.

Also, while the EA 2x10 is, of course, only 2-10" speakers, it still is a large cabinet for being only 2x10...Granted, not nearly as large as a 4x10", but large, nonetheless. Some people love EA full, transparent tone, while others don't care for the flat response EA cabinets offer.

Another manufacturer, Epifani, is supposed to be as good. I've never tried one, so I can't comment about their sound. However, I can tell you that they make a 3x10 cabinet that Bass Player Magazine rated very highly...

7. Thanks RAM,

I would guess using the iAmp-600 would probably sufficient to drive the 2-10 cab since it is 600 watts@4 Ohms. The cab can be had in a 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm config.

I'm just concerned that I might spend close to 2K, crank it up, and end up saying,"Oh, that's kind of nice but I need more speakers!"

I'd like to get away with one cab (but not a 2-15").

I'll keep looking around. I'll check out the Epifani as well.

Thanks again.

--c

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Charlie,

Before you commit to a 2x10, consider all the options available with EA cabs. Some people like the combination of a 2x10 and you might find that it's more than sufficient. But, others like to go with 2 cabs of 2x8, also by EA...or 1 - 2x8 w/1 - 2x10...Just give 'em all a shot. But, you WILL be surprised how full the EA cabs are!

Good Luck!:D

9. I think I've changed my mind.
    After speaking with Beaver Felton at Bass Central ,who told me that 1 VL-210 cab might be sufficient but the manufacturer recommends using two to realize the full amps potential, I have decided to possibly go with something that will definitely give me enough power from 1 cabinet.

I mean, so what if they're small and don't weigh as much if you have to carry two anyway.

http://www.bagend.com/q10bx-d.htm

Now I have to decide on the amp.

I've seen many posts on good preamp/power amp combinations.
    Or I might just go with the Eden head.

I'd realy like to have some user programmed preset sounds to choose from say, for example if I want to switch from a fretted slap sound for one song and a deep fretless sound for the next.

Guess I have more research to do.

--c

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You say you're looking for a way to store user presets? Hmmm...I think you need a digital preamp with a separate power amp. I'm not too familiar with what's out there in this category. Sans Amp makes the PSA-1, which might do the trick. It's midi, so you can link it up with a foot controller, etc...

Otherwise, if you don't mind twiddling some knobs to change your tone, there are a lot of options out there. The single biggest thing that I recommend is gather some information of several brands, then give 'em a test run. If you don't hear them with YOUR bass and YOUR ears, you run a serious risk of getting a good product, but bad match with your needs...that would be bad!

Some names you may consider are EBS (my personal favorite: the Fafner), Aguilar, EA (which I found too sterile, but that's me), Ashdown, Demeter, Eden, and depending on if you can afford the bucks, maybe even Walter Woods or Glockenklang.

11. OK, now I like the Fafner although I haven't gotten a price on it yet and don't know what the output at 4 Ohms is.

Still, none of these "high end" amps are available locally. Neither is the Bag End Cabinet.

Am I wrong to assume with all the tone flexibility of the Fafner and power handling of the Bag End that I could somehow not be satisfied with the sounds I will be able to get?

Even though I have been out of circulation for a couple years I have spent a lot of time recording so I don't have much trouble identifying and getting the sounds I want.
    The only trouble I've had is getting a slap sound that I'm happy with. I've used Fenders, Ibanez, and Pedullas.
    I know the Stingray 5 will solve that problem.

I don't really have to have presets. If I have one good overall tone I could then tweak it using the controls on the bass.
    I'll be using two Stingray 5's. One fretted, one fretless.
    The first one's due to arrive next week.

Guess I'll keep looking around.
    Thanks for the advice RAM.

--charlie

12. Am I wrong to assume with all the tone flexibility of the Fafner and power handling of the Bag End that I could somehow not be satisfied with the sounds I will be able to get?

That didn't come out right.

Is it possible, with all the tone flexibility of the Fafner and power handling of the Bag End, that I could somehow not be satisfied with the sounds I will be able to get?

A little better.

--c

13. OK I figured out some stuff.

Thank God for online product manuals.

To get the full 620 watts from the Fafner I will have to drive it with a 2 ohm load.
    Since the Bag End 2/10" cabs are 4 ohms
    then 2 of them would make it 2 ohms.
    Correct?
    (the 4 /10" is 8 ohms)
    Also the 2/10" is 70 lbs. whereas the 4/10" is 96.

That way I can carry 1 or 2 of them depending on the situation, although I'm sure I'll always carry 2.

This seems like it might be the way to go.

Still no price on the Fafner.

Can someone give me an approximation?

--Charlie

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I believe it lists for around $1700-$1800 in the US. EBS pricing policy is rather tight, so they don't go too far down. I'd guess around $1400-$1500 street price?

15. Thanks Oysterman.

16. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Nothing ive tried sounds quite as nice as a good all tube head,and Aguilar is about as good as they get.Definitly give it a try!!!They also have a new hybrid head that should be available very soon if not already.Good luck!

17. Got a price of 1299.00 + 30.00 Shipping on the Fafner from Bass Northwest.
    The Bag End 2/10"+horn cabs will be 675.00 each +40.00 shipping.

Total Price for the rig 2760.00.

I'm going to check one more place for a quote before I place the order.

--Charlie

18. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Charlie,nothing against BNW.They're great!But check chuck levins washington music center for a better price on the BE cabs.They gave me a better price quote on the BE 15'sThey might be able to do better on the head also if they cary them.Good luck!

19. I did this morning when I ordered a Stingray 5 fretless.

607.00 ea.

They don't carry the Fafner.

Thanks for lookin' out.

C4

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Call Rawn Randall at www.r2musical.com
    http://www.r2musical.com/specials.html
    His website shows that he has some demos in stock that he's selling for $995. That's what I paid, and it was used by Victor Bailey for a 3 hour show. That's it! Rawn used to be the EBS distributor in teh US, which is how he got EBS stuff in stock...give him a call. Nice guy!