1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar or Markbass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oneforyes, Jul 9, 2018.

1. oneforyes

oneforyes

Jun 16, 2013
    Trying to make a practicing "combo", how about Tone Hammer 350 + Markbass 151HR
    or Markbass Combo? or Markbass Head/Cab? or Aguilar Head/Cab

budget < $1500

any suggestion?

2. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Aguilar head and cab I'd these are the choices.

3. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I’ll take an Aggie rig over a Markbass any day. I’ve owned both those brands of amps and cabs, and I could just never get “my” tone out of any Markbass rig, no matter what I did. I really love my TH500 and 2 SL112s tho. It just sounds good everywhere, every time. That said, plenty of great bassists love Markbass, so that’s just my opinion. But with a budget of $1500, I’d get a TH500 and a SL112, and then some beer and pizza with the $50 left over! I suggest the 500 over the 350 because if you’re like me, you’ll love the sound of that rig and you’ll probably want to get another SL112 down the road (and the 500 will handle 2 cabs better than the 350).

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I used to use a LM II, then a F1, until I got my Tone Hammer 500. I've totally thrilled with the Aguilar for years now, that I have used with several different LDS cabinets, currently, two mirror-imaged 1106 cabs (10" 3010LF and a 6 1/2" mid/high Faital Pro driver).

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  5. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    I went Aguilar th 350 and 2 x dB 112’s after a few years using mark bass

Am happy with this Aguilar set up

I use to be keen on mark bass but not so much these days ....

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I still have my Minimark, which is a great sounding little amp.

7. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I was a Mark Bass guy, now I'm an Aguilar guy. Aguilar has more 'bottom'.

8. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I’ve been running my MB F1 into 1 or 2 GS112 cabs for years now. Still sounds good to me. No complaints other than wishing the cabinets were lighter.

9. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Funny I really like Aguilar but I've moved on to Mesa pretty much since I feel like it has even more bottom.

Mechanical, ObsessiveArcher and hs123 like this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Used Mesa D800 and used Subway 112. You’re welcome :)

11. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I would go Aguilar but....It's all about the sound your looking for.

12. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Both companies make great gear. I have a MB combo I picked up after a music course from the school. I think it's a 350w with 112; great for home practice etc. Tone tends to be a bit "honky." However, Aguilar is better. I went with a DB751 for medium to large gigs- very clean, clear, and WAY louder than ANYTHING I have heard from MB. I hear nothing but great things about the Tone Hammers, but IMO if you want to have PLENTY of headroom AND volume AND versatility with cabs etc., perhaps look into their AG700; 4 Ohms and 2.67 Ohm loads (2 8 Ohm cabs, 1 4 Ohm cab, or mix match 1 8 Ohm cab and 1 4 Ohm cab.) Why didn't I buy an AG700? My needs for a 2 Ohm load option was paramount, and I went with a Mesa Boogie D800+. Bullet proof construction, metal switches and not plastic buttons, WAY louder than an MarkBass 800, and just about any tone needed. That's my rehearsal and small gig goto hands down.
    IMO you are in the right zone for quality/tone, but if it's either AG or MB, I would go for/with Aguilar. Good luck!

pjbassist and ELG60 like this.
  13. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    What are your tone goals? Do you have a main rig you use now? The markbass will be very clean no matter what, and the eq points are not the greatest. The Aguilar will have a more colored and pillowey sound and a more versatile eq. Both would be good.

14. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    I'm gonna say Aguilar hands down. I can get almost any sound I want out of my AG 700. My only experience with markbass has been at guitar center, but to me the tone was always sort of hi fi and nasally and I just couldn't dial it out. You might want to look into the Mesa subway series and Fender rumble series as well though, both are highly regarded around here.

15. idorky

idorky

Dec 27, 2006
    if i were you, i'd A B them, whichever gives you a harder hard on, .....take that one :), can't go wrong on either, it's all about your hard on

16. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

I would choose the Agi setup of the two. I currently use a Carvin BR610 as my main amp. add a 2x12 and you have a lot of sound. I also like the old SWR Redheads. Good used ones are still around.

pjbassist and Dean N like this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia, Riga
    Aguilar Head/cab.

18. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I hated the markbass combo I had. The head sounded amazing when DI'd, or thru another cab but man, did it sound crappy thru the box it was attached to. :poop::vomit:

19. Vertigo Jones

Vertigo Jones

Jun 13, 2013
    Of the two I'd pick Aguilar but I'm admittedly biased that way.

20. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    What ^he^ said.

I'd take a D800/D800+ head and a Subway cab any day over anything similar from Aguilar, MarkBass, GK, Ampeg, etc.

Another great option -- Quilter Bass Block and a Subway cab.

pjbassist likes this.