1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar or Markbass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oneforyes, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    To piggyback upon Eric DK's post, I second his opinions although I have the DB750 and have not tried the AG700. The Mesa D800+ is excellent.

If you're not afraid of used gear, the class D stuff with a better-n-average cab might be attainable for about $1,500.

Eric DK likes this.
  2. Flog

Flog Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Another vote to add Mesa to the equation. Opened up my D800 the other day and you can tell it is built with great quality. running the thing @2 ohms through 4 cabs is sheer joy. Great company!

3. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    A while back there was so much praise for Markbass here on TB. Judging from the responses to your post thus far that seems to have cooled a bit. I have been using a LM II for about eight years now and it's always served me well. I play all kinds of music and I use it with slab, acoustic and upright basses. I have tried the AG 500 and I thought it was OK but the build quality felt kind of cheap to me. It was certainly light in weight. I used to use a pair of Aguliar single 12 cabinets but I wasn't really happy with them. I currently use a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12 and that cabinet with the Markbass LMII works very well for me.

pjbassist likes this.
  4. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    If limited to those two choices I'd go Aguilar, I've owned but never really liked Markbass. IMO, for $1,500 you could do a lot better. For a practice rig no need to spend that much.

5. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    If it were me, I'd get a Markbass combo and not even try the other stuff. It just works that well for me.

electracoyote, TrevorG and TN WOODMAN like this.
  6. VT bass 500

I got hyped up with all the reviews from TB about the Tone Hammer that I decided to check out a 350. It’s light and all but it just sounds so dull.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. oneforyes

oneforyes

Jun 16, 2013
    whoo.. thank you guys
    I tend to looking for some used Aguilars!

8. Sorry guys I’m sticking up for my Berlin Combo and NY151 cab. Heard a lot of guys way better than me playing a variety of Aguilar rigs and honestly haven’t been impressed with any of them-as a listener from the audience. Maybe playing one on stage is different . I’ve been close enough more than once to hear off the stage sound, not in PA, but as always-IMO.

electracoyote and TrevorG like this.
  9. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My personal taste would lead me to Aguilar over Markbass, but then again my taste would also lead me to consider other options as well. For $1500 there are lot of options for a dynamite practice rig, that could also be a nice gigging rig.

Unless you're simply captivated by Aguilar and Markbass equipment (and they both make fine gear), I'd widen the aperture a bit and survey the field of possibilities. Knowing what you tone goals are (i.e. what kind of sound you like) will help you narrow things down. IME Aguilar and Markbass equipment don't typically sound very similar.

chris_b likes this.
  10. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Yeah, there are so many options out there for your price range. As I said earlier, I LOVE my Aggie rig... but I love my Ampeg V4-B and dual SVT210AV cabs even more! The more I think about it, for the best “practice rig” in the $1500 range (which could still be gigged with too), I’d honestly go with a an all tube 50 watt Ampeg PF-50T ($900) and a SVT112AV ($500). IMO, you will NOT get a better tone than this setup for under $1500 (I’m talking brand new). Period.

11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    My MarkBass Ninja 1000w head and 2 Ninja 1x12" 800 watt ceramic cabs sounds much better than any Aguilar rig I've owned. In fact it sounds better than ANY rig I've owned. But I think for a more lightweight combo I'd look at the Mesa Subway 15 before the MarkBass or Aguilar cabs. Then maybe add an AG700 to it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    TrevorG likes this.
  12. This is my gigging gear, it's also my practice gear (well just one cab, whichever gets unloaded on the top from the previous gig). I switched to Markbass cabs because I liked the sound they reproduced and I LOVED their weight. I almost went with a Markbass amp but in the end didn't fancy the look of a "tiny box-like structure" on top of the cabs. I can carry a cab in each hand if necessary. Between the pedals, the amp (Peavey Headliner 1000) and the guitar I have a massive range of tones I can reproduce. I'm finally happy with my sound. This is also how I use the set-up...I don't have the pedals on the floor; many of the stages we play on are really small for the 5 of us. As I don't need to stomp them on in the middle of a song, I just use my hand to activate/deactivate 'em. bass gear.

TrevorG likes this.
  13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Firstly, when I play at home or at a rehearsal I always use my backup gear. I don't see the point of spending money on a rig that will only be used for practice. I play at home through my TH500 and one of my Barefaced One10's.

Anyway, I could use either Markbass or Aguilar amps, but my preferred cab would be a good 110 or 112.

Al Kraft likes this.
  14. I'm not sure I'd spend a bunch of money on a practice combo. If I just needed a little practice amp I'd get a little Fender or GK. But given the choice between Markbass and Aguilar I have chosen Aguilar for myself. I have Markbass stuff and I like it, but the Aguilar feels more predictable and service-worthy. For a small rig you can take onto the stage eventually I would go with a 350 Tone Hammer with a 2x12 cabinet.

15. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I generally agree though I think Messa is getting a bit pricey for a practice rig. Plus I don't think they do combos. The Markbass will be great as a practice amp until you want to gig. Then you'll find you won't even need to add a cab to it for most gigs.