1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar or Mesa Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rochishin, Mar 4, 2008.

1. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I need help(insert joke)... I'm stuck trying to decide whether to get the db750 or the m-pulse 600. The thing is I've only heard and played through the m-pulse 600. There's nowhere for me to try the db750 unless I buy it. So either I just suck it up and grab the 600 or (on a wing and a prayer) buy the db750. I read most everything I could find on either amp but still I'm unsure. Is there anybody who has had experience with both that could tell me if the 600 could approximate the db750's sound. I like Mesa but too many knobs/buttons for me sometimes, I'm simple. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I should add that I'm trying to go for that old sound...(Jamerson, Pino, Saadiq, Graham....)

2. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    MESA

3. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Thanks bra, could you be a bit more vague :)

4. well I highly recommend mesa but im sorry to say I have never played any aguilar gear... tho it seems nice.

I know you cant go wrong with mesa though

5. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    I just got the Mpulse600. Its a fantastic head. Think of all of those knobs as "tonal flexibility" rather than a bunch of knobs. Whatever my head is set at EQ wise it always sounds good.

6. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    There's a joke to be made in your comment a bout "a bunch of knobs" but I'm too slow to think of one. I used to have an m-2000, lovely sound but too many options for me and while the 600 has fewer options I'm still reluctant about mesa even though they are great.

7. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Are there any db750 users out theeeeerrre..............

8. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007

"I like Mesa but too many knobs/buttons for me sometimes"
    :rolleyes:

9. Not DB750 per se, but I love my aggie cab and have used a buddy of mine's aggie head extensively and it is heaven.

My vote goes to Aguilar.

10. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I guess it comes down to how much you like the "flat" sound of the amp in question. Less knobbies to piss around with. I see your :rolleyes: and raise you a :eek:

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  12. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
  13. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I've owned a Mesa Big Block 750, a Walkabout and I currently have an Aguilar DB750. While the Mesa stuff is good, if you are you looking for unbelievable head room, a classic tone (that's super easy to dial in) and something that will make your pants move when you stand in front of your speakers...the Aggie all the way.

My current DB750 is the third one I've owned. I buy one, think I can find something with a similar tone that is lighter, find I can't and buy another one. They are awesome...

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Aguilar X 10[SUP]23[/SUP]. Specific enough for you?

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Well...there's a HUGE difference in price so why don't you let that be your guide?

16. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    why are you interested in the 750 if you've never played it?

to those who say mesas have too many knobs, take a look at the bb or the fathom.

17. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Hang on I'm still trying to find my pocket calculator be back in a sec.....

18. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I've been following your aguilar tweed thread and all I can say is Beeuuwwwty! Awesome rig!

19. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    One more minute now.....

20. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    So it's Aguilar to the power of, how did you get the 23 to hover the 10? Blackmail, nuddie pix :ninja: