1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar or Mesa Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rochishin, Mar 4, 2008.

1. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    There's a place up here in Canada where the price is not too far from each other.

2. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    Got to agree about the price thing. But, I owned both an Impulse 600 and a DB 750 until just last week. Very similar tone, but the DB is fatter and, well just bigger. I sold the Impulse because I just like a simple tone set up. The Impulse is MUCH more versatile with tone options and compressor though. Better for different kinds of gigs. I just love that DB 750 tone through my Bergantino 322 though, really can't be beat IMO. Good luck!!

3. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I forgot to mention the DB750, can also look cool too....

4. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    +1 (smiley with a thumbs up..ya, I couldn't find an actual pic of it)

I've been waiting to hear from someone who owns both. Thanks!

5. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I love your signature!

6. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I gotta stop using so many exclamation points

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    KJUNG could give you a lot of help if you send him a PM. I have tried both and I like the MESA better - It has more tonal flexibility, the solo volume feature is something you will never be able to live without again, and the compressor is as good as it gets. One thing to keep in mind with the Mpulse is that is has an unusual voicing for the mid frequency. To get the mids 'flat' it is best to set the mid control no higher than 9 or 10 o'clock. If you go much higher than this the head can sound weird (farty). Also the treble starts pretty low in the spectrum, so you may want to set that initially no higher than 12 o'clock or it will bring in more mids than you may want. Between the graphic switch and the solo button, you practically have a sort of 3 channel amp. good luck.

8. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    *** is an impulse?

9. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Mesa head (BB750), Aggie cabs!

10. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    That's the stuff...thank you. I've noticed that the mpulse is very trebly(to me) even when set flat. Again I'm sort of stuck not being able to audition the aguilar. For me there's a lot to be said about liking an amps natural voice before all the knob twiddling.

11. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Listen to Tool's Lateralus ... Justin Chancellor's tone through an M-Pulse is unparalleled IMO. I don't own either so I can't offer a definitive opinion, but I think the Mesa might offer you more tonal flexibility, plus the extras elaborated upon previously (compressor, solo boost, etc).

12. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Thanks man, I'm however trying to go for the older(?) school tone not so much clean. Which is why I'm wondering if the mpulse can do a good db750 impression.

13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Aggie head, Mesa cabs?? i think I may be going this route.

14. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Before i got my DB750 i had an m-pulse 600. I never looked back, for what its worth.

15. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    We forgot that the price difference between Aguilar and Mesa is much less drastic outside the US (from what I've read).

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've posted this before, but comparing an aggie DB659/crest CA6 setup with my M-pulse 600: the Aguilar sounded great at home, but with my band them M-pulse outshined it easily. I was using Aguilar GS412 and GS112 cabs.

If you don't like knobs, just leave the parametric EQ OFF like I do. The 3-band EQ on the mesa is superior to the one on the DB750 IMO. I strongly prefer the voicing of the low end EQ on the Mesa.

17. I think you would have to compare the DB750 to the Titan V12 in order to compare apples to apples...

LR

18. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I'm comparing the 600 to the db750 because I tried the v12 and could not get it to sound the way I liked. The 600 and v12 seem to be voiced different to me. These posts are all great stuff. It makes me wish even more that I were able to try both side by side. Anybody in the Toronto area have both and be willing to have a tosspot like myself have a go at them. At any rate you guys have been extremely helpful, not only helping me understanding both amps but now making me want them both! :hyper:

19. If these are the only two amps you are interested in, just break it down and see if the specs/price between the 2 make or break the deal.

DB750: 425(ish)@8ohms
    750 @ 4ohms
    975 @ 2 ohms
    Simple 3 band EQ w/hi/low boost

Mesa 600: 320 @ 8ohms
    600 @ 4 Ohms
    More intricuit eq with OB compressor, solo

Do you want alot of EQ options?
    Do you need the amp to be able to do a 2ohm load?
    Is weight an issue?
    Is rack size an issue?

All the obvious being stated now, here is my opinion.

I've played with, but do not own a mesa 600.
    I own the DB750. I've had it for almost 4 years(bought new)
    It has operated flawlesly for me. It has done everything I asked of it. It runs a 2ohm load with ease with only a minor temp increase.
    I love the tone, BUT I think the Mesa takes the win in the low/low mid department. The aggie is a little loose in the caboose, and can get hard to controll in certain rooms if you go crazy with the eq.

I think the Mesa is a better "rounded" amp, that can handle more of a variety of situations, but as far as kick you in the gut whoomp, I give it to the DB750.

The DB750 can get "wooly" if needed, but doesn't break up like a nice tube amp will.

Hope any of this helps.

20. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008

Your thoughts and opinions definitely help. I'm going to try the mpulse again to see if I can "live" with it. As was stated earlier I can't go wrong with either one. But somehow I feel I'm missing out by not hearing the db750. Ya I'm crazy.