1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar or Mesa Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rochishin, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've owned both and will chime in with more input when I have some time. But ask KJung. He'll give you good opinions of both and will most likely steer you in the way of the M-Pulse600. I love the DB750. There are very few heads that can compare to such a head of sheer power and solid engineering. My Titan V12 is one of those heads though...:D

You'll have more flexibility with the 600 (the semi-para eq), but you'll have more headroom and girth in your sound with the DB750. The 750 has a very distinct tone, which can vary depending on the bass, cab, efffects etc that you pair it with, however it does have a signature tone. If you love it, you love it, if you don't...then you don't. But I loved it. I wish I had another one of these. In a perfect world where i had another 2k to spend on a head and I worked out often enough to schlep around 45lbs constantly. :D

2. Hmmmm... I played an M-Pulse 600 sight unseen as provided backline at an outdoor gig last summer and hated it for the very reason mention earlier -- too many knobs. The amp sounded nasally to my ears, though I'm told it sounded fine in the crowd. Setting things flat didn't seem to improve things. If you have to set knobs in odd configurations to get "flat" I say forget it. Of course it may be fine after you've become familiar with the amp, but coming at it cold was a pain in the butt. On the other hand, I have an Aguilar DB 359 -- it has the same "limited" eq options as the DB 750 -- and it sounds great set flat. Huge chewy tone. (Yes, I know it's an all tube head and that makes a difference.) If anything I might roll the bass back a wee bit in some rooms. And if I need more presence I just boost the mids a hair. It's simple. And I like it that way. Of course you may hear things differently. Personally I wouldn't buy anything before trying the DB 750.

3. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    The M-pulse set flat is not a typical "flat" due to the passive mid and active bass and treble. If you spend a little bit of time with the controls it will become very easy to dial in exactly what you want.

Really, if you are a plug in and play kind of guy and you like the tone of the DB750 you cant go wrong.

4. +1... flat on the 600 is with the bass and treble at noon, and the mid at around 9 o'clock.

That being said, +1.. the DB750 is a great amp, and simple. However, it's kind of a one trick pony... if you dig the inherent tone, it's great, if you don't, the EQ won't help you much.

5. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Again, thank you all. Are there any recordings out there that might have the "Aguilar" bass sound to them? I reeaally would like to try the db750 before I make a decision. I'm just a hack and don't have amp companies vying for my attention. :crying: So it's a case of wanting what I have not having what I want. Which considering the welfare of people in less fortunate countries is not such bad situation after all!

6. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Good info about the mid a 9:00. I'll have to try that when I play through the mpulse again.

7. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    +1 on eveything KJung said about the DB750...
    Ive been enjoying mine for a few weeks now.. and boy does it do that trick well..

All my basses sound diffrent in the amp.. but still it's got what I like to call "buffered vintage'ish tone".. :rolleyes:

My rig got the nickname "The WreckingWall" as of the first rehersal.. as the ceiling panels started to sprincle dusty parts all over.. :bag:

:D

8. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Nice! I look forward to doing that with whichever amp I get. :D

9. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Not sure if you've made your choice as yet, but I used a DB 750 for an event this past week with my new-to-me Stambaugh Jazz 5 (Passive PUPs). I fell in love with it. What incredibel tone and punch. I kept checking the eq to see what was being boosted to get so much...and it was just about flat! I've never used a MB 600 but had a MB 400+ and never could I get the same stuff out of it....and the eq on the 400+ is a bit confusing also. My regular head is an Eden WT800 and I'm thinking I have to have a DB750 in my arsenal also. Just wonderful.

10. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I love my Big Block 750, and I don't even play most of the music that mesa bass gear is used with, I just love its punch and power. I thinks it's on par with the Aguilar 750 and then some, the passive & parametric mid controls are really nice.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Superscript. It's Aguilagadro's Number. Here's your pron.

AggieTB.

12. I think the two amps sound pretty different. The DB750 really is in a class by itself. The DB750 just moves air in a whole new way. That thing just hits you in the chest and the low end voicing is just superb. See the picture in the post above for one of the best rigs in bass.

Honestly, I think the Mesa Big Block750 is probably a closer match to the DB750 than the MPulse 600. If you want a similar sound and want the option of the best overdrive in the business, IMO, the BB750 is the way to go. It's tone is HUGE in it's own right, with an enormous presense in the low end like the DB750. If you don't use the overdirve feature and set the gain low for a clean sound it really does sound a lot like the DB750. Personally, I'm total dying to try the BB750 with my Berg AE410.

13. I run my mpulse 600 through an Acme B4 and I have the mid knob all of the way up, and that doesn't even begin to sound farty. Maybe my head is faulty, because if I run the mid control at 9:00 it almost sounds scooped (or maybe I just like a tone with more mids in it?)