Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar outboard pre?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Dec 19, 2004.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i have a OLP MM-2, would an Aguilar DB 924 outbaord preamp get me a good active pup type tone? or would it be bettre to buy all new pups? or what?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    It would make your bass sound as if it had an active preamp in it, but not necessarily active pickups. They're two different things. :)

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah i know the difference between pre and active pickups, i was just wondering if it would sound bad through the stock pups on this anyways. because i dont really want to go through putting in new pickups or and active pre or trying to route a battery or anything.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'm not at all an expert, but I'd think if you like the basic sound of your MM-2, but want a little something extra, and it's not noisy (as some lower priced basses are), the DB 924 would work fine. I've played the OLP and it seemed to me to be a perfectly good alternative to the real Music Man, especially given the price difference. I've owned a DB 924, so I can give a better opinion of that. I used it with active and passive basses, mostly with Bartolini pickups but also with my Mouradian. It sounded great with all of them, especially the Mouradian, which didn't quite have the sound I like through the rig I had at the time. Seemed to add a bit of warmth in the midrange, a bit of character the sound was lacking, even without fiddling with its knobs. Only 2 bands of EQ, but the frequencies covered by those 2 knobs are set perfectly IMO. I sold it for financial reasons, but made sure the next bass I bought after that had an Aguilar 2 band preamp onboard. My guitarist liked it for clean guitar too.

5. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright thanks for the info, would i be able to get a similar type thing happenin with a sansamp bass driver DI?