Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar owners...is the DB750 worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjigga, May 18, 2004.

1. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Is the DB750 worth the money or is it just as good to get the DB659 preamp and use a QSC or similar power amp?

Dave

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im not an Aguilar owner but I have tried the DB750 and the DB680 with a QSC power amp. I would go with the 680 and a power amp because I liked the tone better and that setup would be more versatile.

Thats a great homer quote! "How about Compuhyperglobalmeganet?" :p

3. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues.

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    The db750 is an awsome sounding amp.
    I own a db750, a smaller rig with a db659/Stewart amp and a db680/QSC rig.
    The db659 is NOT the equivalent preamp as what is inside the db750. not even close. Not as "warm, tubey, syruppy" as the 750's preamp.
    The only advantage I have found in the db680/QSC rig is in weight savings. The db750 is very powerful, rugged, and sweet sounding.
    if you don't mind the weight of the 750, you WILL be happy with it.
    If you don't want to schlep a 50lb amp around, then you'd be better off with a separate preamp/poweramp.

4. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I use the combination of a DB680/Stewart World 2.1 amp. Tons-o-power and each piece weights in at about 17lbs.

5. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Looks like Basstasters is going to have to get a DB-750 to test!

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Sort of related... how does the 680 compare to the 659 in terms of tubey fatness? That's the sound I'm going for, and I think in the long term I may go with Aguilar for a preamp.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The 680 is as fat as you can possibly get with a preamp... None more gooey!

The 659 is tighter and punchier and to my ears, more aggressive. It's woolier if you will, although the 680 can get pretty nasty if you want it to.

If you want some more defintion and punch, maybe the 659 would be the ticket. If you want all out glorious tube warmth and presence, the 680 may be the ticket.

Keep in mind that Aguilar stuff is pretty costly (even used) so try to get your hands on some other stuff as well just to see what you like and don't... ;)

8. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess what I was intending to figure out is if the power amp section of the DB750 is worth the extra $$ vs. pairing an aguilar pre with a different power amp tone-wise. Haven't been able to A/B the two since it requires travel.

Dave

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I prefer the 680 over the 659. I felt the 659 was too wooly.

With the parameteric eq, the 680 can give you all the definition and punch you want to go with the tube warmth.

I guess I just didn't think the 659 was anything special, and expensive for what it is. Of course, the 680 is plenty expensive but the amazing tone from it makes it worth it to me.

of course, we all hear differently so that's why we have sites like basstasters!